Peter Kay Page 3

Caught the tail end of repeat bits of his shows, and it was noticeable how much he repeated the end of jokes if they got a good laugh, until he did the tag to death - not very clever or funny, and can only think the audience were either drunk or had been sniffing nitrous oxide as they rocked in their seats

His fans crashed the ticket website with requests.
He's already adding extra dates to his tour including a full month at the O2 London.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th November 2022, 11:56 PM

... not very clever or funny ...

He uses a great deal of non verbal communication. On paper, not very clever, but he can get a stadium to laugh off a grimace. Just as a cartoonist can get a laugh from visual subtlety.

Remember how badly Paul Merton did as Hancock ? Merton doesn't have his visual animation. I think Kay and Hancock are both great performers, only Hancock didn't write his own stuff and was aimed at a different audience. Peter Kay is clever , anyone that can work a room that well is genius, in my book. Hancock played the fool too.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th November 2022, 11:56 PM

...can only think the audience were either drunk or had been sniffing nitrous oxide as they rocked in their seats

Alternatively they were having a cracking evening enjoying jokes and routines aimed directly at them.
He is adored by his audience, it's as simple as that, and he has them in the palm of his hand.
He gives them what they want - possibly, need - every time.

Maybe, but to guffaw at every multiple repeat of the tag line suggests otherwise.

Don't get me wrong - I like the man, but just repeating the tag line over and over again is a bit much. OK mate, we got the first time! Or are his audiences that thick.

Caught one of the early shows on his current 'Better Late Than Never' tour in December 2022 in Birmingham. It's fair to say he's still got it, he's a naturally gifted funny comedian and does often, if not all of the time, have the audience in the palm of his hand.
However, some of the first half of the show did contain jokes and quips, I had heard before from various chat show or interview appearances, which is fine I guess but for any massive Kay fans in the room like myself, it's noticeable immediately and you already know the punchine. The second half was a lot better and Peter seemed more into the performance, not sure if he was still nervous maybe as I went to what was only the 4th show of this huge arena tour.
Whilst he's not re-inventing the wheel, he does still deliver a good solid funny show but you know what you're going to get with Peter Kay and that is part of his appeal. Either way, it's fair to say his popularity has never depleted with this tour stretching all the way until the end of 2025, with over 110 arena shows. That in itself, is a huge achievement for any artist, let alone a comedian.

Maybe the first half was his greatest hits.