Best series of stand alone comedies? Page 2

Quote: Ben Ripley @ August 8, 2007, 10:01 PM

I have always loved Murder Most Horrid (the programme, not the act of senseless killing) and I pray for the day when 2 Entertain or somebody will release a lovely 4 disc DVD boxset of it all!
I admit, not every episode was five star worthy, but when it was good it was excellent.
I'm very fond of:

'Murder at Tea Time'
'Mrs Hat and Mrs Red'
'A Determined Woman'
&
'Lady Luck'.

Ah... now I will have to dig out my old VHS tapes and watch them all over again!

I liked that one set backstage of a Blue Peter type show.

Ripping Yarns again superb

Quote: David Chapman @ August 8, 2007, 9:15 PM

Comedy Playhouse was early 60's. They were basically pilots which if popular enough became series in their own right.

And it gave us...

Steptoe and Son
The Walrus and the Carpenter
Meet the Wife
Hudd
Till Death Us Do Part
Para Handy
All Gas and Gaiters
Beggar My Neighbour
Room at the Bottom
The Whitehall Worrior
The Reluctant Romeo
Not In Front of the Children
The Old Campaigner
Wink To Me Only
Wild, Wild Women
B-and-B
Me Mammy
The Liver Birds
As Good Cooks Go
That's Your Funeral
Under and Over
Now Take My Wife
It's Awfully Bad For Your Eyes, Darling...
Are You Being Served
Last of the Summer Wine
No Strings
Happy Ever After
Mr Big

I used to love Comic Strip but watched the boxset and laughed at one episode (Mister Jolly lives next door which was really proto-Bottom, what else do you expect from Rik and Ade?).

The others, even the ones I remember the most as "funny" were dire on rewatch. The Fistful of Dollars parody suffered from inconsistent characters. Richardson played both the sniggering maniacal sidekick and antagonist in the same role - the later unsuccesfully. The Yob, great idea poorly executed - Bad News, a feeble Spinal Tap.

Truncated ambiguous endings (Les Dogs / the Fistful of Dollars parody were particularly awful from a script and film-making perspective).

Unfulfilled character arcs (What the hell was the point of the Cathy Burke character in Funseekers?).

Patchy and inconsistent writing due to the opening of the writing to other Comic Strip members. The iron age village experiment in the university rates as the worst (imo) hour of TV I own. What was the point of the dead man on the pyre opening his eyes? Why did his wife who knew he was dead wander around at the end asking where her husband was? What was the point of the posh couple living in a caravan and the shagging as the village burned down?

French and Saunders wrote a dire Consuella but redemmed themselves later on in the series with some great performances and a good script (forget which).

Ripping Yarns has to be the best stand-alone series, imo. But it was consistent in writing input (Jones / Palin then Palin) and in tone and setting, which Comic Strip proponents can't claim.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 8 2007, 11:16 PM BST

Ripping Yarns again superb

I was just watching this again at the weekend. Excellent.

Ripping Yarns. No real contest.

Quote: Marc P @ May 15 2009, 2:42 PM BST

Ripping Yarns. No real contest.

Human Remains gives it a close run for its money...IMO.

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2009, 2:44 PM BST

Human Remains gives it a close run for its money...IMO.

Oh good call. They're very different so I'd give RY and HR equal first place. :)

Does People Like Us count?

Quote: thefridaylink @ May 15 2009, 2:53 PM BST

Does People Like Us count?

Hard to say. I'd lean towards no since the Chris Langham character features in them all.

Damn, you lot are too fast, Human Remians for me also although Set of Six was very good but I'm unsure if it can be classified as stand alone as they had familial links.

Star Stories would fit into this catergory as well, if it hasn't been mentioned already. Although they're obviously a bit shit.

Comedy Playhouse I do not think qualifies, because at least in later series, after it opened up to other writers, there was no common sensibility. The same is perhaps true to a lesser extent of Seven Of One.

The Comic Strip Presents... has not aged particularly well, and all episodes not written by Richardson and Richens are truly dire, but some episodes still hold up.

Ripping Yarns remains a thing of beauty.

Does People Like Us qualify?

Quote: Timbo @ May 15 2009, 6:43 PM BST

Comedy Playhouse I do not think qualifies, because at least in later series, after it opened up to other writers, there was no common sensibility. The same is perhaps true to a lesser extent of Seven Of One.

The Comic Strip Presents... has not aged particularly well, and all episodes not written by Richardson and Richens are truly dire, but some episodes still hold up.

Ripping Yarns remains a thing of beauty.

Does People Like Us qualify?

Shouldn't that be 'Do' people like Us Qualify.
Watch the grammar

:D

No. Unimpressed