Best series of stand alone comedies?

Not sure if we've had this discussion before, but we should have. Essentially, what do people think is the best British series of stand alone comedies? I'm thinking now of shows like Murder Most Horrid, etc, which feature different characters etc each week.

My nomiations would be Ripping Yarns (Michael Palin's finest moment) and That Peter Kay Thing. In many ways this was Kay's best work, far superior to Phoenix Nights, with the ice cream man show a standout (anything that references Appocalypse Now and Taxi Driver in relation to selling icecream is genius). Also worthy of note is Coogan's Run, especially the Get Calf and Dearth of a Salesman episodes.

I think you've named 'em all.

Nonsense. Didn't Porridge grow out of a series of stand alone comedies? BBC3 and BBC4 have both done series in this vein (although I can't remember there names off the top of my head).

How about The Comic Strip Presents series?

Whether it's a "best" or not is another matter.

Seven and One i think it was called open all hours came from it as well.

Seven of One.

Comedy Playhouse.

Yes. I vote Comedy Playhouse. Not that I've really seen many, but its pedigree is undeniable.

Yes definetly Comedy Playhouse that was responsible for creating Last of the Summer Wine, Till Death us do Part and Steptoe and Son and many other classics.

Seven of One was also very good

Never seen Comedy Playhouse or Seven of One so I shall plump for Coogans Run

Help?

I used to love Murder Most Horrid and the Comic Strips.

Comedy Playhouse was early 60's. They were basically pilots which if popular enough became series in their own right.

Human Remains would be my favorite. Brilliant show, Rob Brydon's best and as good as Julia Davis' Nighty Night.

Coogan's Run and Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible are both very good, but among my least favorite Coogan projects.

That Peter Kay Thing is excellent, especially Eyes Down.

I have always loved Murder Most Horrid (the programme, not the act of senseless killing) and I pray for the day when 2 Entertain or somebody will release a lovely 4 disc DVD boxset of it all!
I admit, not every episode was five star worthy, but when it was good it was excellent.
I'm very fond of:

'Murder at Tea Time'
'Mrs Hat and Mrs Red'
'A Determined Woman'
&
'Lady Luck'.

Ah... now I will have to dig out my old VHS tapes and watch them all over again!

Humain Remains, Coogans Run, Dr Terribles House Of Horrible, Ripping Yarns.