- Comedy Drama
- 1982 - 2016
- Channel 4, BBC Two, Gold
- 41 (1 pilot + 5 series)
- Adrian Edmondson, Rik Mayall, Nigel Planer, Peter Richardson, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Robbie Coltrane and Keith Allen
- Peter Richardson and Pete Richens
- Bob Spiers and Peter Richardson
- Peter Richardson, Andrew St. John, Sarah Radclyffe, Simon Wright and Lolli Kimpton
More of a 'brand' than a cohesive series, The Comic Strip Presents... nevertheless set the marker for comedy on Channel 4, and indeed popular comedy in the 1980s - and beyond.
A sporadic collection of self-contained comedy TV films and playlets (not to mention two big-screen spin-offs), the Comic Strip was developed by Peter Richardson, promoter of a late-night comedy event in Soho which took place in a strip club after the last naked-lady show of the evening had finished.
Most episodes feature the same 'core' team of actors. Adrian Edmondson, Dawn French, Rik Mayall, Nigel Planer, Peter Richardson and Jennifer Saunders appear in many of the shows - sometimes as more than one character - with other familiar faces like Robbie Coltrane and Keith Allen also popping up regularly.
A 30th anniversary episode in the Enid Blyton spoof strand was made for GOLD: Five Go To Rehab.
In 2015 the gang return with newspaper satire The Red Top.
- Production company
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Tuesday 2nd November 1982 on Channel 4 at 10:15pm
- Last new broadcast
- Wednesday 20th January 2016 on Gold at 10pm
- Last repeat
- Monday 9th July 2018 at 2:30am on Gold