Gervais vs. Coogan?

These two guys have probably been the biggest figures in domestic comedy in the last ten to twenty years, and both have at least one bona fide classic sitcom on their CV's. Who's best?

For me, it's easily Steve Coogan. Coogan is a genuinely great comic actor, and he's got the sort of breadth and depth that Ricky Gervais can only dream of. For instance, the Abba Alan performs in Knowing Me, Knowing You is something old Fatty Gervais could never do. Ditto for the brilliant "door as table" sequence in the second series of I'm Alan Partridge. And let's not forget, Coogan was also doing the comedy of embarrassment long before The Office (who can forget Alan Partridge calling Tony Hayers a shit). I like Gervais plenty, but he just hasn't got Coogan's panalopy of skills.

Coogan.

Coogan his tv shows are better and parole officer "In my wallet I have forty pounds thats twenty each" is just brilliant.

Coogan, fer sure, fer sure. He's actually acting. Gervais is just memorizing lines and playing himself.

Coogan.

Can you imagine Gervais setting up a company to produce OTHER PEOPLE's work?

Despite what people say, Gervais CAN act, but he's limited.

Coogan is also an impressionist :)

Best at what? They both have their talents.

Coogan's the better actor.

But I actually find Gervais the better writer.

And I'd want to be mates with Ricky. I think Coogan does that whole tortured artist thing a bit sometimes.

Which is best, an apple or an orange?

But Coogan for me... and apples.

Coogan made Partridge.

Although Gervais made Pilkington...

You may have a point about Gervais being a better writer. Coogan's best stuff has come about in collabrations with the likes of Patrick Marber, Peter Baynham and Armando Ianucci. That said, I think the second series of Extras proved that Gervais can be guilty of self-indulgent and sloppy writing.

As for mates, I think Gervais might be a bit of a bore. Always going on about The Office and how many awards he won. In a pie eating competition, Gervais would definitely win, though.

Those pie eating contests should be used to settle all matters...

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 7, 2007, 2:32 PM

Which is best, an apple or an orange?

Apple

Coogan but he’s been at it a lot longer so it hardly a fair comparison

Quote: Leevil @ August 7, 2007, 2:32 PM

Although Gervais made Pilkington...

Zooo won't like that. Made famous perhaps. Supposedly he's real, and not written at all.

I like Coogan's hair as well. It's nice and curly and I'd like to touch it. I wouldn't like to touch Gervais's unless he'd just washed it. And even then I might not touch it. Gervais looks like he might sweat a lot as well.

I think Bernard Manning gave Coogan a run for his money, what d'you reckon? Also between Manning and Gervais, the outcome of a pie eating contest would be won hands down by Manning who more or less invented pies, along with comedy. So between Coogan and Gervais the best one is clearly Manning.

Coogan would beat Gervais to the bank to put his royalty cheques in as Gervais doesn't drive.

In a sprint my money would also be on Coogan.

Coogan could also has a 'bearable' laugh.