The IT Crowd Final Special Page 5

Meh... It was OK, but a bit bitty. The secret millionaire stuff was poor.

Missed funny plot opportunity, if they had shuffled the scenes into a different order, the grandfather that they buried could have been the same short guy that Roy shouted at and got hit by the van with boobs. That could have provided more funny interplay with Roy's girlfriend.

Why didn't they film the actual coffin bearing action with the short guys and with Roy (on his knees perhaps).. missed opportunity.

I liked the Altair 8800 serial number 3

I agree that the Secret Millionaire stuff was weak, but enjoyed the rest of it. Thought there were a good number of laughs, particularly the exchange between Moss and Reynholm about "Look at me. What do you see?"

Quote: lofthouse @ September 28 2013, 3:51 PM BST

I think he's been watching Big Bang Theory

'Game Board' was very 'Fun with Flags'

And Roy's misunderstanding stuff was very very Sheldon Cooper like...

Yeah true. I mean making Roy Autistic just sucks and he's not that terrible with emotions. Where's the mother flipping subtlety? I mean Roy asking "Funerals are supposed to be sad right?" really made me cringe. Come on now.

And I really don't know why he's explaining away many of the jokes. I mean even the artistic spectrum joke, it was totally killed later when Jen explained it away. My god.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ September 29 2013, 5:14 AM BST

And I really don't know why he's explaining away many of the jokes. I mean even the artistic spectrum joke, it was totally killed later when Jen explained it away. My god.

And it makes Linehan culpable for the same very noticeable crime in CAS. Linehan is a heavy, unsubtle writer. He's been smashing viewers over the head with his comedy since Father Ted. If he's now taken to explaining out every nuance of a funny, then it shows he's run bone dry of inspiration. Explaining a gag is the oldest and most blatant ploy in the book to fill up time. :( It spoiled CAS for me, although Delaney's writing is like treacle to get through anyway.

Wow, just watched this and as a big fan of Series 1-3 (not so keen on Series 4), this sucked big time.

Worst moment had to be when Roy was telling us how funny it was at the funeral, WTF? What happened to "show, don't tell"? It's no good Roy telling us how hilarious it was we needed to at least see a little bit of it and make up our own minds about how funny it was.

The whole thing was riddled with weak in jokes and reasonably funny ideas which weren't really expanded on or work through properly, it had a feeling of being thrown together using all the ideas that Linehan had in his waste bin.

I guess it could've been a reasonably funny 24 minutes but stretching it to 48 just didn't work, the pacing was all wrong and exposed the lack of quality gags.

Such a shame for what was once a great comedy show to go out on such a whimper.

Yeah, it didn't have the emotional end to it that Father Ted had. A shame, but, no doubt, there will be another sitcom to charm us in the future. I hope.

Well, I liked it a lot. I was laughing so much at the whole coffee throw/viral setpiece thing as it escalated and made me wonder where that comedy's been recently (Linehan not writing enough on TV, obviously!)

I was disappointed by the end but only as I'd been thrown by Roy almost becoming self-aware but I guess that would have been a League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse rip-off.

Dan

I think Jen was very brave to allow that close up, especially on Hi Def. Respect!

Moley moley moley moley

Nice little cameo by Super Hans!

Quote: Ben @ October 1 2013, 6:44 PM BST

Yeah, it didn't have the emotional end to it that Father Ted had. A shame, but, no doubt, there will be another sitcom to charm us in the future. I hope.

That's because Father Ted was a comedy classic that, much like Only Fools or Cheers in the US, will be remembered for decades to come. I like The IT Crowd and will remember it fondly (Moss is comedy gold) but it never achieved the emotional resonance with its audience to elicit a Father Ted-esque response.

I loved the bit where he described what happened at the funeral. "Don't tell, show"? It would have been too much of a laughing at short people moment, and a bit too 'sliding down hill in a bathtub' as well. Plus, if everybody is expecting one thing it's often much more fun to give them something else. There were still loads of laughs with the explanation.

I agree the secret millionaire bit was weak, but the rest was fandabidozi .

Quote: Tiggy @ October 3 2013, 3:46 PM BST

I loved the bit where he described what happened at the funeral. "Don't tell, show"? It would have been too much of a laughing at short people moment, and a bit too 'sliding down hill in a bathtub' as well. Plus, if everybody is expecting one thing it's often much more fun to give them something else. There were still loads of laughs with the explanation.

I agree the secret millionaire bit was weak, but the rest was fandabidozi .

"fandabidozi" ?

A Krankies fan? Ummm.......

Isn't everyone?