The IT Crowd Final Special Page 6

Funniest moment for me.

Douglas: "Tell me how you feel?"
Moss: "Well, I suppose I do lack a little confidence."
Douglas laughs.
Moss: "I know it's silly."
Douglas: "No. I just realised what a funny voice you have."

Brilliant. More of that please. Overall, pretty good. But the final episode should've been absolute comedy gold. Not pretty good.

Hi, having searched the entire internet unsuccessfully for any reference to this I'm going to chip in:

The Finale is based, albeit loosely, on The Wizard of Oz. Moss is the lion, looking for courage; Roy is the tin man, looking for a heart; the 'little people' are the munchkins; Anonymous is the Wizard as shown in the scene at the end etc. etc.

Presumably Jen is Dorothy, perhaps the homeless lady is the Wicked Witch, leaving the basement at the end is like leaving Oz - this explains the slight 'bittiness' of the whole episode. It's actually rather clever...

Right I've just updated the Wikipedia page with my theory, let's see if it sticks...

PS: Don't want to go too 'Dark Side of the Moon' on this but Roy's surname is Trenneman. Tin Man / Trenneman? Coincidence? Probably yes.

Quote: Robot Lad @ October 6 2013, 12:56 PM BST

Hi, having searched the entire internet unsuccessfully for any reference to this I'm going to chip in:

The Finale is based, albeit loosely, on The Wizard of Oz. Moss is the lion, looking for courage; Roy is the tin man, looking for a heart; the 'little people' are the munchkins; Anonymous is the Wizard as shown in the scene at the end etc. etc.

Presumably Jen is Dorothy, perhaps the homeless lady is the Wicked Witch, leaving the basement at the end is like leaving Oz - this explains the slight 'bittiness' of the whole episode. It's actually rather clever...

Right I've just updated the Wikipedia page with my theory, let's see if it sticks...

YOU'VE JUST BLOWN MY TINY MIND.

Quote: Robot Lad @ October 6 2013, 12:56 PM BST

Awesome

Haha, great. Seems obvious to me but no-one else has mentioned it.. my Wikipedia edit was deleted after 6mins because there was 'no source'.

Half of Wikipedia is 'source needed'.

Also, you could try to re-do it as a 'theory' and site this website as source?

Quote: Natalie Of Wicks @ October 6 2013, 1:42 PM BST

Half of Wikipedia is 'source needed'.

Also, you could try to re-do it as a 'theory' and site this website as source?

I phrased it carefully as the episode "appears to be loosely based" etc. but yeah, if a few people agree on here maybe I'll try again after a while. Can't believe no-one else has made the comparison yet but I couldn't find anything out there.

Can anyone spot any more references? Also who is the brain-seeking Scarecrow? Could be Richmond but Douglas has quite an odd transformational storyline... I haven't seen Wizard of Oz for a while so there could be more references in there.

Is it worth tweeting Mr Linehan? He probably won't reply or even see it, but it is worth a shot.

That's what I was just thinking!

Or does Stott have any inkling?

Quote: Natalie Of Wicks @ October 6 2013, 2:02 PM BST

Is it worth tweeting Mr Linehan? He probably won't reply or even see it, but it is worth a shot.

Done :)

HIGH FIVE!

It's a nice theory, Robolad! Hopefully Linehan will gobble it up.

Characters looking for courage/heart/a way out etc are staples of most comedies and dramas, though. You could apply Wizard of Oz references just as easily to EastEnders, Downton Abbey or Button Moon.

It's probably just a coincidence.

Linehan said he stuck very closely to the Harmon circle when writing this, I don't know if that makes any difference to the Oz theory.