What are you watching on TV? Page 225

I just watched The Science of Lance Armstrong that I recorded from earlier. Really interesting, I learnt that Lance Armstrong is actually superhuman. His heart can pump out 9 gallons of blood per minute during exercise, where the average human heart during exercise can only pump out 5 gallons. His heart is (or was, when the programme was made) 33% more efficient than the average 20 year old athlete. And, for some reason science couldn't explain, his muscles didn't create as much lactic acid as other athletes, allowing him to go further.

And all of this was after he was given a 30-40% chance of surviving cancer of them old testicles. Mental.

Quote: Finck @ July 20 2008, 9:56 PM BST

Get a nice summary here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4gQPReH2E (German) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KufHGYKqH9E (English)

Do watch it in German, too. Please!

Well that was ... disturbing!

I've always wondered this, Finck: How do/does Germans/Germany look at that whole cheeky business? Is it viewed as a national disgrace? As the nation being 'occupied', but by mentals rather than military might (as France etc were)? Just as a bad thing in the past that should be learned from? A mixture of the lot maybe, or something entirely different?

Quote: Aaron @ July 20 2008, 11:54 PM BST

Well that was ... disturbing!

I've always wondered this, Finck: How do/does Germans/Germany look at that whole cheeky business? Is it viewed as a national disgrace? As the nation being 'occupied', but by mentals rather than military might (as France etc were)? Just as a bad thing in the past that should be learned from? A mixture of the lot maybe, or something entirely different?

Well, almost all active participants are dead now, as you may know. Mainstream political opinion is now in a transition from being dominated by lefties from the sixties, who broke with their parents over their not talking or thinking about what happened, to being driven by PC reflexes against symbols of nazism combined with a public largely uninformed about and uncritical of the mechanisms and concepts of fascism.

That is such a German sentence. I apologize.

My mate Carsten spat and said he hated him.
If that helps?

Quote: ian_w @ July 21 2008, 12:10 AM BST

My mate Carsten spat and said he hated him.
If that helps?

Not really. What did you do to him?

Quote: Finck @ July 21 2008, 12:08 AM BST

Well, almost all active participants are dead now, as you may know. Mainstream political opinion is now in a transition from being dominated by lefties from the sixties, who broke with their parents over their not talking or thinking about what happened, to being driven by PC reflexes against symbols of nazism combined with a public largely uninformed about and uncritical of the mechanisms and concepts of fascism.

No apology required. I think it sums it all up very nicely.

I just asked him if he liked Hitler.
Dunno if me being what I am swayed his response any.

Quote: ian_w @ July 21 2008, 12:13 AM BST

Dunno if me being what I am swayed his response any.

A Twat?

Watching: Brass Eye. Brilliant.

Quote: Leevil @ July 21 2008, 12:16 AM BST

Watching: Brass Eye. Brilliant.

Which one?

Quote: Finck @ July 21 2008, 12:08 AM BST

apologise*

Interesting answer though, thanks! Any idea how it's taught in schools? Well, I assume it is taught in schools!

Quote: Gavin @ July 21 2008, 12:16 AM BST

Which one?

Drugs.

Quote: Gavin @ July 21 2008, 12:15 AM BST

A Twat?

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

The Day Today is far better than Brass Eye. Still dead good though.

Quote: Aaron @ July 21 2008, 12:26 AM BST

apologise*

Apologize is fine for the Americans.
:D