Harry & Paul - Series 4 Page 5

It does seem odd that a fairly poor sketch show that repeats the same jokes ad infinitum would poke fun at one of the best sitcoms in the last twenty years. Maybe it was a loving pastiche - except the jokes / observations weren't nearly as clever enough.

Maybe on next week's show, Harry and Paul could take the piss out of That Mitchell and Webb Look or Big Train - you know, other sketch shows that positively shit all over theirs.

The woman playing Susie was spot-on, I thought. The voice, the mannerisms... it was difficult to believe it wasn't the same actor.

This week's show was poor and lacked the polish of the opener. Interesting to see that most people didn't perceive a difference between the two.

Quote: Cully @ November 6 2012, 2:34 PM GMT

The actress who played Larry's non speaking wife in the Curb sketch (Izzy Mant, according to a helpful Mark at the Guide), looked very like Tracy-Ann Oberman, IMHO.

Izzy Mant is also the producer. (It used to be produced by Geoffrey Perkins).

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 6 2012, 3:48 PM GMT

The woman playing Susie was spot-on, I thought. The voice, the mannerisms... it was difficult to believe it wasn't the same actor.

Yes, she was very good at it.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ November 5 2012, 8:33 PM GMT

There's a constant whiff of racism (it's hard to see how "Parking Patoweyo" isn't racist)

Actually it's impossible to see how it's racist because it isn't. I haven't tried to get the BBC to broadcast obviously racist material but I would reckon it would be easier to get a chimpanzee to shit half a pound of butter.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 6 2012, 4:12 PM GMT

Actually it's impossible to see how it's racist because it isn't. I haven't tried to get the BBC to broadcast obviously racist material but I would reckon it would be easier to get a chimpanzee to shit half a pound of butter.

And that's more of a Channel 5 pitch.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ November 5 2012, 8:33 PM GMT

(it's hard to see how "Parking Patoweyo" isn't racist)

In what way is it racist?

Are some traffic wardens non-white? Yes.

Are traffic wardens bastards? Yes.

Therefore non-white traffic wardens are bastards and you should choose the middle door.....(hang on a minute)

Seriously, there's plenty of racism in this country but if we refuse to ever let non-white people be portrayed in a negative light then we'll never get anywhere.

The day I kicked my TV set in because Ainsley Harriott was on, was the day I realised that we could hate black people individually for what they are and not collectively as a group.

That's what a non-racist society should be like.

Quote: Jinky @ November 6 2012, 5:09 PM GMT

Therefore non-white traffic wardens are bastards and you should choose the middle door.....(hang on a minute)

Seriously, there's plenty of racism in this country but if we refuse to ever let non-white people be portrayed in a negative light then we'll never get anywhere.

The day I kicked my TV set in because Ainsley Harriott was on, was the day I realised that we could hate black people individually for what they are and not collectively as a group.

That's what a non-racist society should be like.

Not really racist but also not funny

It's racist to show an evil black African traffic warden on a BBC show that stars white people.

It's not evil if Little Miss Jocelyn plays an evil black African traffic warden on her BBC show, because there aren't any white actors in it.

Are you people thick or what? ;)

Quote: Pingl @ November 6 2012, 5:39 PM GMT

Not really racist but also not funny

We can agree on that.

As a one-off it was ok, but we must have seen 'traffic warden is a git' six times now with very little variation on the theme.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 6 2012, 6:23 PM GMT

It's racist to show an evil black African traffic warden on a BBC show that stars white people.

Ahhh....the 'Goodness Gracious Me' defence....

"I mean, I admire Enfield"

"oh yes Frank, Enfield has tickled the nations funny bone for a generation"

"Absolutely, absolutely. He has amused me and the wife on numerous occasions. But, if Enfield arrived on my TV screen one night, in a poorly scripted, lazy, predictable sketch show that merely rehashes tired old routines ad infinitum - I should say Oii! ENFIELD! NOOOOO!"

"oh no Frank, he hasnt?"

"oh yes he has. ENFIELD! I admire your ability to create an array of lovable and quirky characters that have kept the nation entertained on a Saturday evening, but I will not tolerate this sloppy rubbish!"

"quite right Frank"

"Then I'd give him a slap, and turn the bloody set off"

"and you'd be well in order Frank- these celebrities have got to learn they can't just put any old shite on the schedules"

"the mans SCUM"

Quote: lofthouse @ November 6 2012, 6:31 PM GMT

"I mean, I admire Enfield"

"oh yes Frank, Enfield has tickled the nations funny bone for a generation"

"Absolutely, absolutely. He has amused me and the wife on numerous occasions. But, if Enfield arrived on my TV screen one night, in a poorly scripted, lazy, predictable sketch show that merely rehashes tired old routines ad infinitum - I should say Oii! ENFIELD! NOOOOO!"

"oh no Frank, he hasnt?"

"oh yes he has. ENFIELD! I admire your ability to create an array of lovable and quirky characters that have kept the nation entertained on a Saturday evening, but I will not tolerate this sloppy rubbish!"

"quite right Frank"

"Then I'd give him a slap, and turn the bloody set off"

"and you'd be well in order Frank- these celebrities have got to learn they can't just put any old shite on the schedules"

"the mans SCUM"

Laughing out loud

It's well observed humour such as this that will stop you getting a writing job on Harry and Paul.

Is it the sole black character in an otherwise completely white show, which features not a single ethnic minority in any sketch other than the one in which a bastard is needed? Who just happens to do a little dance and wave their hands like an episode of the Black and White Minstrel show when he scores a victory? What a coincidence that is.

If the joke is that he's a traffic warden, any ethnicity would do. White, for example,. given Angelic a lot of traffic wardens are white and (b) the show is whiter than the typical BNP election slate anyway. But no, on this particular occasion, the whites-only casting policy was overcome.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 6 2012, 3:48 PM GMT

Gosh: a show in which the pitch is "accurate impersonations of minor characters from a minority TV show?" What next: find someone who looks a bit like Nancy Walker and run three sketches pastiching Rhoda?

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ November 8 2012, 7:53 AM GMT

Is it the sole black character in an otherwise completely white show, which features not a single ethnic minority in any sketch other than the one in which a bastard is needed?

I find that sketch so bad I never bother watching, so I don't really want to stand up for it, but there are other bastard-characters in the show, the "I Saw You Coming" man for a start.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ November 8 2012, 7:53 AM GMT

Is it the sole black character in an otherwise completely white show, which features not a single ethnic minority in any sketch other than the one in which a bastard is needed?

Colin McFarlane was also in the show in the 'American DVD Boxes' sketch.

Who just happens to do a little dance and wave their hands like an episode of the Black and White Minstrel show when he scores a victory? What a coincidence that is.

I doubt many people would think he was doing a 'minstrel dance'. I'm guessing he was doing something else...perhaps imitating another children's TV show??

Anyway, the sketch shows a black man celebrating a victory over a white man. If Paul Whitehouse had hung Daniel Kaluuya from the nearest lamppost then you might have had a point.

Maybe that's next week's sketch.