Harry & Paul - Series 4 Page 9

The series hasn't been that bad.
A bit weak with a good few misses, but entertaining nonetheless.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 19 2012, 12:47 PM GMT

As for the TV show, Dragons Den, Who wants to be a Millionaire, and Ricky Gervais impressions are years behind!

To be fair, there's a karmic irony to the last of those: two has-beens who were funny a long time ago, mocking a has-been who was funny a long time ago. Perhaps they're still big; it's just the programmes that got small.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 22 2012, 10:52 PM GMT

Are you on drugs?

No.

My life has been enriched since I stopped watching this crap. I feel a sense of liberation now that I no longer have to watch that bloody awful sketch about ripping rich people off. Oh happy day :)

This thread is funnier than this show !

As usual, bury all the crap in the 5th episode out of 6.

But I'm wrong!

That was the last episode. Next week appears to be a 'best of' show.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ November 22 2012, 11:44 PM GMT

To be fair, there's a karmic irony to the last of those: two has-beens who were funny a long time ago, mocking a has-been who was funny a long time ago. Perhaps they're still big; it's just the programmes that got small.

Watch that Liam Neeson scene in Life's Too Short, and tell me Gervais hasn't still got something; albeit at a slightly lesser hit-rate than before. His movies are neutered shite though.

Neither of these two could have written/produced something as good as that Liam Neeson scene, even if they were given 1000 years to think about it.

It's disappointing to say that, as I really do like Paul Whitehouse. I think he should leave comedy, and carve a decent career as an actor. He doesn't have the edge anymore, but he will always have on-screen talent.

Couldn't care less about Enfield.

I've been up and down with Harry & Paul each week, but have settled on loving it. There are certainly sketches I really don't care for, but there's been plenty that's made me laugh out loud.

And yes, I will go there: it's really reminded me of Monty Python's Flying Circus. There are few definable punchlines, with a number of sketches trailing into almost complete nothingness, some pretty outlandish ideas that no newcomer could have got away with, and a lot that really isn't deconstructable. Some really inventive stuff, others a little more traditional, and plenty sailing delightfully close to enraging a PC-bashing crowd.

Not everything worked, but on the whole it was pretty damned funny, very brave, and wonderfully directed by Enfield. I'd like to see a fifth series ordered.

I must get round to watching this and see exactly what's going on.

Maybe it's just nostalgia talking but I wish they'd bring back some characters from Harry Enfield and Chums. None of the new characters seem memorable.

Only thing that made me laugh in the last episode was when the sweaty Dragon's Den guy asked the presenter out on a date. Not sure why but it did!

Funniest show of the year. Without question.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 1 2012, 9:13 PM GMT

Have you been in a coma? ;)

Quote: Pingl @ December 1 2012, 9:23 PM GMT

Have you been in a coma? ;)

Ah, how I've missed the profound wit of the BCG forum! ;)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 1 2012, 9:13 PM GMT

Must be a very bad year, then!

Very funny and slickly-directed.

(This and Bad Education are my 2012 favourites.)