Nighty Night Page 3

Another vote for Human Remains - it's great.

"What are you thinking about, buttercup?"
"Taking my own life..."

"More than happy, Les." :)

I've just purchased both series hoping that I will enjoy it. I remember when it was originally broadcast, but I never watched it for some reason. Not until I saw Julia Davies in Gavin & Stacey and realised just how good she was.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ July 28 2009, 10:34 AM BST

I've just purchased both series hoping that I will enjoy it. I remember when it was originally broadcast, but I never watched it for some reason. Not until I saw Julia Davies in Gavin & Stacey and realised just how good she was.

Try Human Remains if you want a great Julia Davis show. It's only about 5 or 6 quid nowadays.

Quote: chipolata @ July 28 2009, 10:36 AM BST

Try Human Remains if you want a great Julia Davis show. It's only about 5 or 6 quid nowadays.

Ok thanks, I might give it a try.

Yes you should definitely give Human Remains a try. It is easily one of the best sitcoms of all time. It's is dark, moving and amazingly funny.

I re-watched Human Remains again the other day, absolutely brilliant. Have my favourite episodes, but even the ones that aren't up to usual standard are still rather amazing. I think the first four episodes (in their DVD sequence) are without doubt my favourite. There's so much great stuff in just a single scene in those, a testament to how they wrote it I suppose. I wish they'd someday to another series, although I doubt it.

Also a fan of Nighty Night. I remember being dubious about it from the initial teasers way back when, but that first series is just amazing. Terry's funeral/Jill's one woman show is one of my favourite moments from the series. Also love the health and safety spot inspection and Jill's bizarre stream of excuses and offers of bribes. That cast works beautifully together, too. I wasn't all that impressed with the second series. I didn't hate it by any means, there was still plenty of classic lines from Jill, but it was just so...mental. Then again, look at Jill in the first series. She finds out she's "apparently" soon to be a widow, or "young" free and single and goes nuts. She gets away with so much because people are too polite to call her up on her actions, it's no surprise that after she gets away with murder at the end of series one, she's bound to just freefall into insanity.

Never seen Nighty Night but I really want to see it. I was going to buy the DVD but I'm not risking the fact that I might not like it. I did that with Tittybangbang and I loved that though. Hmm.... does anyone reccomend Nighty Night to buy both series, or is it shit?

Depends on the price. How dark and surreal do you like your comedy? The main character is really rather evil, and the second series a whole lot darker than the first.

If it's reasonably priced, I'd get the first and move to the second if you like it. If you don't, there's always re-selling and trading.

I got both for £8. HMV sale.

Nice one. :) Personally, I think series 1 is very good, whilst series 2 struggles badly.

Quote: James19709 @ August 8 2009, 5:02 PM BST

Never seen Nighty Night but I really want to see it. I was going to buy the DVD but I'm not risking the fact that I might not like it. I did that with Tittybangbang and I loved that though. Hmm.... does anyone reccomend Nighty Night to buy both series, or is it shit?

Buy... tis worth it :)

(Ok, series 2 not as good in places... but)

Yeah, I'd certainly suggest buying it. You can find both series on-line for peanuts, and I'm sure in a fair few high street places you'll still walk away with change from a tenner if you're lucky.

As others have said, the lead character is a monster, but one that's easy enough to laugh at even at her extremes. I much prefer the first series to the second, but if you enjoy the first series (which I think there's a strong chance you will) you'll certainly have things to laugh at in the second. Only real issue I had with the second series was during my first watch of it on TV. It's so different to the first, and you get a little bit frustrated waiting for it to return to form, but eventually you settle in.

I've watched two episodes from series 2 and it's not as good. Less funny moments.

Whatever happened to Charlie, the original poster of this thread?

Quote: James19709 @ August 8 2009, 5:02 PM BST

Nighty night is miles better than Tittybangbang.

I'd get it - and still keep meaning to look up Human Remains.

Last time I checked in CEX, Human Remains was going for... six quid I think. Bound to be cheaper on Amazon though. It's a good enough two disc set: commentary on all the eps, some filmed footage of the pair of them improving lines at home and an extra episodes of sorts with two of the characters from the series as a support act at a real life concert.

You can certainly see a Marion and Geoff flavour in some of Rob's characters and there's glimmers of Jill throughout, but so much more too.