Bread Page 3

I found it quite offensive. Carla Lane was best suited in the middle class world she knew eg: Butterflies. (I didn't like that either.)

Quote: Chappers @ 16th August 2019, 11:17 PM

Except Bread was quite funny.

Not so sure.
If I had to sit with my eyes glued open "Clockwork Orange"-style, I'd probably pick Mrs Brown.

Quote: john tregorran @ 17th August 2019, 4:26 AM

I found it quite offensive.Carla Lane was best suited in the middle class world she knew eg: Butterflies.(I didn't like that either)

I believe I'm right in saying she knew a bit of both, but remained close to her Scouse roots and certainly knew of the working class Liverpool she wrote at least two popular sitcoms about. Butterflies was a complete diversion into Southern middle class comfortableness but who hasn't met an ex Scouse living happily in the South East? Almost as common as ex Scotch.

Alfred for me it was so far off being Scouse I detested it, every cliche and stereotype in the book was used. Terrible programme that only had one Scouser in it and he should have known better.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 19th August 2019, 11:21 PM

Alfred for me it was so far off being Scouse I detested it, every cliche and stereotype in the book was used. Terrible programme that only had one Scouser in it and he should have known better.

Wasn't that always part of comedy - stereotypes?

No that was the actual problem with comedy, the use of them stifles originality.