Bread Page 2

Meh I don't mind that much

Just thought it was very petty in this day and age

Plus Grandad telling people to piss off was one of the shows highlights!

I was watching a show over Christmas and Bread got a mention so I decided to purchase the Complete Collection from Amazon for just under £12! Bargain. I have just got onto series 4 and enjoying them a lot, whilst it may be a little dated now, it's still very enjoyable to watch. However, admittedly it probably did outstay it's welcome a little bit after Series 4 when Gilly Coman and Peter Howitt left the series. It's never quite the same when key cast members leave shows and new actors are bought in to play the same parts.

I rewatched it a few years ago, and I found it awful to be honest. I think it's Carla Lane's worst piece of work IMO. I didn't like the whole setting and the characters, they just got annoying after a while.

Quote: Tursiops @ 31st October 2012, 12:55 PM

I quite enjoyed the first series, but it went stale very quickly.

Bread, stale. I see what you did there.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st September 2012, 11:52 AM

It had a little bit of a troubled life, declining a little after the fourth series but is certainly not one of the most clearly remembered 1980s titles amongst the general public.

After just watching all seven series, I disagree a little with that, Aaron. I enjoyed all seven series equally, the only thing which let it down was the major cast changes with Joey and Aveline. I felt that the quality of the scripts are maintained throughout all of the series. Also, it is well remembered, whenever I ask anyone who grew up during the 1980's they all recall Bread and most say how much they enjoyed it at the time. It certainly probably isn't fondly appreciated now as it was back then. Still a cracking comedy series though IMO.

This show is currently showing in the evenings on Drama, a Freeview channel. Love the grandfather and the Lilo Lil references.

Am I alone in seeing a lot of Bread in Mrs Brown's Boys? Coincidence or design? But then MBB also reminds me of the half decent US sitcom Soap.

Not my favourite of Lane's sitcoms either but it's her most successful and has a strong blueprint. Cast changes for the same characters are never a good thing, thankfully we don't see that as much now, possibly because few sitcoms make it beyond series 2.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th February 2019, 8:44 AM

Am I alone in seeing a lot of Bread in Mrs Brown's Boys? Coincidence or design? But then MBB also reminds me of the half decent US sitcom Soap.

Not my favourite of Lane's sitcoms either but it's her most successful and has a strong blueprint. Cast changes for the same characters are never a good thing, thankfully we don't see that as much now, possibly because few sitcoms make it beyond series 2.

Going off post I'm afraid but Soap started out as a spoof and then fell into the genre.

Am I alone in seeing a lot of Bread in Mrs Brown's Boys?

Perhaps. I think it's that both represent a typical working class family dynamic, rather than any similarity in the vein that one might have copied or taken inspiration from the other, though.

I'm sure many people see a lot of Coronation Street in EastEnders but what's actually happening is that both programmes are portraying working-class communities in the British Isles. The accents may be different but the individuals portrayed are bound to have striking similarities simply because they are all human and living under what are essentially the same conditions.

The same is true of Bread and Mrs. Brown's Boys. Each programme depicts life in a working-class household overseen by a strong single-parent mother. The situation is one with which millions upon millions of people all over the world can readily identify either at first hand or because they've known such a family as neighbours.

You're not seeing a lot of Bread in Mrs. Brown's Boys: you're seeing a lot of working-class enterprise, resilience, humour (and many other things) in both programmes.

I must admit, I have been slagging the show off until I've seen it properly. I bought the dvd set a few weeks back and I was worried, I would hate it, but I was wrong. I found it fantastic. I really loved the characters, each one was different and like the strong unit they have.

Worst thing was the cast change, but it was still good after it though. I found it really good and love how it was like a soap opera and how the story continues into the next episode.

Overall a very good series and good to watch.

Carla Lane was undoubtedly a highly-talented sitcom writer but, even so, she remains underrated in my view.

The Liver Birds was a huge hit with young women and also appealed to most other viewing groups.

Butterflies was absolutely revolutionary comedy as, with regard to televisual taboos, it kicked the effing door down in its portrayal of a perfectly decent married woman starved of almost everything she needs emotionally who embarks upon an affair. I know when she initially pitched it to the BBC, she was told in no uncertain terms there was absolutely no way a married woman was ever going to have an affair in a BBC sitcom. Luckily, she persisted and the result was a giant leap forward for womankind.

Bread addressed a number of social issues but its main appeal was, I think, that it gave viewers plenty of laughs without requiring them to think too deeply. The viewing figures were tremendous!

Carla is no longer with us, of course, and we shall never see her like again.

No.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/875073/

Quote: Lazzard @ 16th August 2019, 4:50 PM

No.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/875073/

Except Bread was quite funny.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th August 2019, 11:17 PM

Except Bread was quite funny.

No it wasn't.