Bread

Recently watched 'Bread' right through (except the earlier seriess which I'd already seen).

Although I don't live in UK I suspect this is one of those sitcoms that was extremely popular in its days (the late 80s) and has been undeservedly forgotten about. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

For me it is an excellent series. Had a soap opera element to it.

It had a little bit of a troubled life, declining a little after the fourth series and not having really made much impact until the third, but it was never the less extremely popular, you're right. It's not quite 'forgotten' now per se, and does receive repeats still, but is certainly not one of the most clearly remembered 1980s titles amongst the general public.

Absolutely loved Bread when I was little but I can only find series 1-5 on DVD or video, did you see series 6 & 7? & if so where & do you still have them?!?!

The entire series, right through to 7, has recently been repeated on GOLD. I can't be sure, but would expect the run to start again before long.

Can we start some kind of petition to stop this, disgusted of the North!

There are very few television shows that provoke such a definitive emotional response, but Bread was one of those programmes for me because I hated it so much. Now hate is a strong word, but when it comes to this irritating shite, it's not strong enough.

I have no idea why people watched it, why they liked it or why they cared about any of the characters. I hated everyone in it, everyone who liked it and everyone who had a hand in making it.

I've luckily blanked most of it from my memory and the only bits I can really remember involved the audience exploding in hysterics because of Grandad and his dinner or some shit.

So glad that this isn't being repeated.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 28 2012, 2:36 PM GMT

There are very few television shows that provoke such a definitive emotional response, but Bread was one of those programmes for me because I hated it so much. Now hate is a strong word, but when it comes to this irritating shite, it's not strong enough.

I have no idea why people watched it, why they liked it or why they cared about any of the characters. I hated everyone in it, everyone who liked it and everyone who had a hand in making it.

I've luckily blanked most of it from my memory and the only bits I can really remember involved the audience exploding in hysterics because of Grandad and his dinner or some shit.

What renegade said twice with bells on!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 28 2012, 2:36 PM GMT

So do you like it or not then?

Have to agree with Renegade and Pingl, Bread was a terrible programme.

It was a f**king atrocity and all the dough the soft cow made from it went to a Donkey sanctuary!

I quite enjoyed the first series, but it went stale very quickly.

Quote: Tursiops @ October 31 2012, 12:55 PM GMT

I quite enjoyed the first series, but it went stale very quickly.

Crumbs !

There something about Lane's dialogue, particularly after the liver birds, that just really pissed me off. Characters who would look into the half distance and mumble some faux philosophy. So stilted and unrealistic, There was nothing wrong with the premise of Bread and in anybody else's hands I probably would have enjoyed it, but not Carla Lane!

I got series 1 and 2 on DVD recently and love it

But Playback have censored the incredibly mild swearing !

They even blanked out the phrase 'blue arsed fly'

Pathetic

Why don't you record Bread if you have Sky or Virgin? It is a great drama where I am from.