Is Roy Chubby Brown funny? Page 3

He's funny to the people who find him funny. So, to some people, yes.

He's a marmite comedian for sure, but I also think there's probably a few current pros out there who sneakily laugh at his videos after a boozey night. I wouldn't buy a DVD of his but when someone put one on after a few drinks I thought it was pretty funny and laughed along. Booze is essential for CB.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ August 12 2012, 12:08 PM BST

He would probably concur with Bernard Manning when asked about being banned from TV - he said '£2 million pound too late'

Ha ha. I can imagine the pompous little BBC faces now. No, they both definitely deserved their success, they worked hard for it and were shrewd businessmen too. BM's club gave a lot of work to other comics too risky for TV too I believe.

I remember someone putting a tape on in a car when I was a kid and finding it very funny. But when you're a kid you do find anything rude funny.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 12 2012, 11:41 AM BST

That's the main thing really, he did his research, made a bit of a gamble in 'going blue' but nailed it. How many current stand ups would want his ability to be raking the money in doing just stand up. Most of them are competing for scraps by doing ads, panel shows, charity dos, unauthentic sitcoms. CB doesn't have to.

And of course once you are on the telly you constantly need new material. I did hear that North East comic Bobby Thompson was one of Britain highest paid comics at one point despite the fact he rarely appeared on the TV or was little understood south of Hartlepool.

Bobby Thompson told racist and sexist jokes, he just didn't use all the Effs and Cees that Chubby uses...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ August 12 2012, 12:08 PM BST

He would probably concur with Bernard Manning when asked about being banned from TV - he said '£2 million pound too late' and that was 25 years ago.

Nice of Bernard to pay tribute to Maxie !

The question asked at the top of this thread should really have been 'Do you think Roy Chubby Brown is funny?'. You can't actually state that someone's not funny, but you can state that you, personally, don't find them funny. My boyfriend doesn't share the exact same sense of humour as me and some of the people he laughs his head off at make me cringe. That's life.

One man's trash is another man's treasure...as they say. I think that applies to a lot of things in life.

Personally, I think Roy Chubby Brown is funny and I often sit there thinking...oh my gawd, he's just too much, but that's what I like about him. He's never not enough. He's shocking a lot of the time and, at my age, being shocked into submission is a very rare occurrence, so I savour every opportunity.

Quote: RedZed333 @ August 12 2012, 2:59 PM BST

Bobby Thompson told racist and sexist jokes, he just didn't use all the Effs and Cees that Chubby uses...

And an early pioneer of left wing alternative comedy:

“On the night of the 1951 election when the Conservative Party was rumoured to be planning to abolish the National Health Service: "It came tu last orders and the barman shouted 'Come on, let's see yer glasses off', and I said 'Well, them Tories haven't wasted any time, have the!'" ”

I've just discovered he started off on New Faces, probably the only time he was clean on stage.

Do I think Roy Chubby Brown is funny? Yes, I think he has great delivery, a brilliant onstage presence and a high level of charisma.

Do I think his material is funny? No, his jokes aren't really that great, he steals from the past and if you've seen one of his DVDs, you've pretty much seen them all.

Unlike Frankie Boyle, who seems to bring out the hate mob everytime he writes a Tweet, RCB has enough self effacing charm and self deprecation that he can pretty much get away with anything.

Like it or not, there is also a bit of class snobbery and regionalisation involved - London newspaper columnists have consigned him to the 'Northern working mens comic' set and thus find him unworthy of mention. Whereas Boyle appeals to their more middle class sensibilities and discussing his material at a dinner party seems to be de regeur.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I thought it better than making a new one.

I recently read Chubby Brown's autobiography and what emerges from those pages is... well not a pleasant man but certainly a lot more to him than he gets credit for. The story of him decking a bloke who called him a fat bastard in public, because there were children around struck me as oddly heroic in a misguided sort of way.

Is he funny? Millions of VHS, DVD and sold out auditoriums would indicate that he is. I can't claim to be a huge fan but I have a few of his DVDs and even saw him live a few years back. He was very funny. The audience.... was not a crowd of people you'd want to come across again in a hurry!

Never ever watched him, Dunno why.

No,