Is Roy Chubby Brown funny? Page 2

Yeah but Brown's jokes will never be written about and analysed in the way some comedians' might so it doesn't really matter if he gets one or two things wrong. They are simple, loud and crude jokes for boozed up Brits in Spain.

At university I lived with somebody who claimed Roy Chubby Bron was the funniest comedian ever. Although I suspect he thought he could wind me up by saying this. Which he couldn't.

Roy Chubby Brown is the funniest comedian ever.

I hate the evil misogynnist. :(

But he's only a stage character, he's not real.

Bollocks to Kipper denying the threat! ;)

No but his jokes are.

Doing a Mark Blake course ages he suggested we watch comedy we normally wouldn't and feed back to the course.

I chose RCB. And he is a very talented old skool comic, his jokes are well written, told and actually excelently timed. But they are remorselessly, pointlessly offensive to the point they stop being funny.

But fair play I believe he is the UK's highest earning comic.

I more wonder why his audience want to hear such things.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 11:18 AM BST

I more wonder why his audience want to hear such things.

'Tis a form of subversion. People tend not to be very discriminating about what they subvert, so long as the have the validation of an independent self that comes from defying the arbiters of a taste and decency.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 11:18 AM BST

But fair play I believe he is the UK's highest earning comic.

That's the main thing really, he did his research, made a bit of a gamble in 'going blue' but nailed it. How many current stand ups would want his ability to be raking the money in doing just stand up. Most of them are competing for scraps by doing ads, panel shows, charity dos, unauthentic sitcoms. CB doesn't have to.

That's kinda my beef.

It's the audience.

What's so funny about rape and racism?

Well the fact it isn't really allowed in Britain anymore is one big factor, people like things the establishment or modern moral code tries to stop them from having or doing. It's what drives Boyle and Gervais on. Some probably didn't find it funny when it was everywhere in the 70s, now they do now because it's become illicit, so it adds a big naughty vibe to the enjoyment. You want what you're not allowed.

Kinda sad

Some shifting morals going on here methinks.

When RCB first started being a 'blue' comedian or more aptly a really really blue comedian it was novel, new and very naughty.
He was one of the first that was so rude you laughed in shock.

He had a niche and he knew it.

He would probably concur with Bernard Manning when asked about being banned from TV - he said '£2 million pound too late' and that was 25 years ago.

I went to see him at Batley Variety Club in his pomp and the place was as they say packed to the rafters, standing room only.

It's too easy to say the audience are scum for going. It was an eclectic mix and I do remember being suprised to see old ladies crying with laughter at him.

Who called them scum?

Quote: Tursiops @ August 12 2012, 10:01 AM BST

Roy Chubby Brown is the funniest comedian ever.

:D