Is Roy Chubby Brown funny?

I have recently discovered Roy 'Chubby' Brown, a controversial comedian. After watching a few videos of his stand up I concluded that what was more offensive than his 'blue' humour was the fact that he just wasn't funny.

Take a comedian like Frankie Boyle. He is constantly treading the boundary between taste and tasteless, with jokes on the subject of rape and ethnicity. However his jokes have a level of sophistication Chubby's lack.

Chubby's jokes consist of making a 'wanking' gesture with his hands and delivering puerile punchlines. His audience are regular moron types, with missing teeth and thick regional accents, who probably consider a big picture of an arse to be comic genius. In other words Roy 'Chubby' Brown's humour is that of a 15 year old school boy, albeit less funny.

So what do you think? Is he funny? Can someone explain the science behind why Roy 'Chubby' Brown is funny? What demographic enjoys such basic, puerile humour?

Quote: Gavin Buttstench @ August 11 2012, 12:28 PM BST

In other words Roy 'Chubby' Brown's humour is that of a 15 year old school boy..

Well said, Gavin Buttstench.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ August 11 2012, 1:19 PM BST

Well said, Gavin Buttstench.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud

I have recently discovered Roy 'Chubby' Brown, a controversial comedian. After watching a few videos of his stand up ...

Did these include Clitoris Allsorts? I had the job of packing that into boxes in late 1995. Star Entertainment, near Heathrow. It was impossible to thieve from there but someone got a copy and we watched it. A few laughs and I later saw Chubby Brown on stage. Obviously not as good as Bernard Manning, but far superior to some of Australia's 'blue' comedians, such as a completely unfunny tosser who goes by the name of Rodney Rude. It's easy to sledge 'blue' comics but I find them just as tedious as mainstream observational comics.

Don't forget Chubby Brown's name is really Royston Vasey, from where the League of Gentlemen derived the name of their strange little northern town. Chubby Brown also appeared in the series as the foul-mouthed Mayor of Royston Vasey. "Thank you very f--king much."

His best work!

As Chubby once said: 'Afghani critiques? I f**kin' shit 'em...!'

I have recently discovered Roy 'Chubby' Brown, a controversial comedian. After watching a few videos of his stand up I concluded that what was more offensive than his 'blue' humour was the fact that he just wasn't funny.

Take a comedian like Frankie Boyle. He is constantly treading the boundary between taste and tasteless, with jokes on the subject of rape and ethnicity. However his jokes have a level of sophistication Chubby's lack.

You're over praising Boyle, a funny bloke but just as crude and willfully offensive. He gets called cool because people mistakenly think he's being dangerously ironic and testing boundaries. He gets to be every bit as much the crude schoolboy Chubby Brown is, a comic who has way more craft than he gets credit for, but is stuck performing for unappreciative drunks.

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ August 11 2012, 3:04 PM BST

Don't forget Chubby Brown's name is really Royston Vasey, from where the League of Gentlemen derived the name of their strange little northern town. Chubby Brown also appeared in the series as the foul-mouthed Mayor of Royston Vasey. "Thank you very f--king much."

Hah...I remember that one. Wasn't it something like, "You're fookin' welcome"...after being thanked for opening something?...well funny.

He's funny because you're laughing at the character, rather than the jokes. I don't think they're necessarily supposed to be works of art, but his character is the right vehicle for them.

Chubby Brown is an annoying bastard played by Royston Vasey...

Frankie Boyle is an annoying bastard played by himself...

Quote: RedZed333 @ August 11 2012, 8:05 PM BST

Chubby Brown is an annoying bastard played by Royston Vasey...

Frankie Boyle is an annoying bastard played by himself...

Very, VERY good!

I ditto Joyce. Well put, RedZed.

Heard him doing a joke about them there Muslims and how they believed in reincarnation

I'm no theology expert but what a dipshit.