Don't get Mrs. Brown's Boys Page 4

You don't even get Jasper Bloody Carrott

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th May 2014, 6:02 PM BST

You can't argue with the viewing figures, I give you that. But that doesn't make it a good show.

What does make something good?

Quote: Aaron @ 4th May 2014, 9:34 PM BST

What does make something good?

I will not discuss that with you, Aa-"comedy is subjective"-ron. ;)

So you're juuuust another comedy snob. Pah! :P

The funniest comedy show is widely reckoned to be Dung OO Midpo, a single episode sketch show recorded by the BBC Estrellian service. An extinct language, understood by only one Oxford scholar who has no sense of humour.
It is still how ever still considerably funnier than Mrs Browns Boys.
Even if the last person who could have been amused by it died 2 millennia ago.

It's a great show.

Dung OO Midpo?

No I meant Mrs. Brown's Boys. Nice to see something different - and also cast and audience having so much fun. No hint at all, at all of canned laughter. Draws you right in from your armchair to almost join the party and you can't ask much more than that from this type of sitcom.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th May 2014, 9:27 PM BST

You don't even get Jasper Bloody Carrott

effin' Brummie.

Quote: Marc P @ 4th May 2014, 10:42 PM BST

Mrs. Brown's Boys. Draws you right in from your armchair

:O only to put my foot through the television. I cannot understand how people enjoy this. I have never even raised a smile! But then I also felt this way about Miranda. I may not be the demographic the BBC is aiming at. However I love Bluestone 42 which by comparison is a minor hit. Does this make me an ethnic minority. And I'm Welsh. Should I be claiming for extra funding?

Quote: Oldrocker @ 5th May 2014, 1:19 AM BST

effin' Brummie.

Shut it Rocker you're an greater brummie as well.

Quote: roscoff @ 5th May 2014, 12:23 PM BST

:O only to put my foot through the television. I cannot understand how people enjoy this. I have never even raised a smile! But then I also felt this way about Miranda. I may not be the demographic the BBC is aiming at. However I love Bluestone 42 which by comparison is a minor hit. Does this make me an ethnic minority. And I'm Welsh. Should I be claiming for extra funding?

Van Gogh died in unrecognized poverty.

It is a good show (yes, with terrible acting and old jokes) because it is very funny at times and hugely popular. And I don't begrudge Carroll his success, he's treated it like a business and really worked to get it where it is, like a true comedian.

Miranda is a good show for roughly the same reasons. As is Citizen Khan. As is House of Fools. As is The Trip. They must all be good because they've got 2nd series. So the message seems to be 'Genuinely original sitcom writers with no comedic performance record themselves not needed anymore. Bye.'

So no new Sullivan, Chappel, Clarke, Renwick, G&S, C&P, D&L, C&L and all their potentially classic new original sitcoms. They've given all sitcoms over to unsubtle, unscrupulous, camera loving performers who know as much about writing original narrative form serial character comedy as I do about stand up. Well done TV execs, you prize prats!!! Especially you at the BBC who've flushed your, nay, our great sitcom heritage down the pan.

The noted wit Oscar Wilde summed it up thus: [i]Some[i] twats like lager. [i]Some [i] twats like Mrs Browns Boys. [i]Some[i] people are just twats. Anything you else you need to know about comedy and comedy shows just ask... But that's about it really.