Don't get Mrs. Brown's Boys

I hate it.

The jokes are paper thin, but yellowed with great age. The "acting" is bloody awful. The characters are all one dimensional and speak with the same voice. It could be a two man show as you can't really tell the difference between them.

The 4th wall should only ever be broken by a pro, Frankie Howerd was a master. I think Tony Hancock did it, but sort of stared vaguely at somewhere in the distance as if speaking to himself but we knew otherwise. This technique is for pros not a guy who knows nothing of the craft of laughs.

Another point I might add, this sort of stereotyping of Irish people was seen a lot in the 60s and 70s. And it shocks me how some of the best comedies have been given stick and forced to be herded into specific tight parameters so as not to offend, but as this is an Irish guy being racist about his own people and showing them as thick it's ok. I don't like when black comics play the I'm black here half an hour either.

I just don't see this show has any value and yet they axe shows that are genuinely good and worth a watch such as After You've Gone.

It breaks every rule or tip from the comedy bible and yet, BBC have run with it.

Problem being that, people who send scripts to the BBC tend to write a copy of the stuff they're showing and usually to a lesser standard.

I hope they get thousands of copies of this utter piss being sent in and long for proper shows in future so those of us that know and love sitcom can have a chance.

Laughing out loud Sooo agree chum Hello!

Thanks for your support. I know I will get a barrage of shit for my post but I can't pretend I like it.

Hello mate, how you doing. This is a decent site. Spent the last few hours looking at obscure shows I thought only I remembered.

England Scotland

I laughed at it.

But I think that was only because it came after The Royal Bodyguard.

This really should have been posted in an existing Mrs. Brown's Boys thread, Vince. There are plenty of them!

Quote: Vince White @ May 10 2012, 4:36 AM BST

as this is an Irish guy being racist about his own people and showing them as thick it's ok.

You can't be racist about a group that's not a race. Nor are they portrayed as thick. One or two of them certainly, but not the entire group.

It breaks every rule or tip from the comedy bible and yet, BBC have run with it.

Does it? It may be coarse and break the fourth wall, but it's very traditional in many ways. And why would they not support a show that achieved an average audience of just under 3 million viewers for its first series, and more than 5.25m for its second? You might not like it, but it's the biggest hit the BBC have had in years and it would be mind-boggling if they weren't "running with it".

I hope they get thousands of copies of this utter piss being sent in

I bet they do too!

Quote: Aaron @ May 10 2012, 11:27 AM BST

It may be coarse

Aaron!!! Are you suffering a hangover?

Yes - it doesn't necessarily meet everyone's taste but it does pander to the lowest common denominator like the old ITV sitcoms used to.

Father Ted is just as racist but much cleverer and funnier.

Quote: Chappers @ May 10 2012, 12:18 PM BST

Aaron!!! Are you suffering a hangover?

Pardon?

What's not to get? It's an unfunny guy in a dress being unfunny. I'm surprised you managed to write such an erudite and thoughtful deconstruction. I switched it on once, watched for 30 seconds, realised it was shit and have never seen it since.

Quote: Overlay @ May 10 2012, 2:02 PM BST

What's not to get? It's an unfunny guy in a dress being unfunny. I'm surprised you managed to write such an erudite and thoughtful deconstruction. I switched it on once, watched for 30 seconds, realised it was shit and have never seen it since.

I watched it once, after that I tried to gouge my left eye out with a fork. Frankly I found the latter a much more enjoyable experience.

My favourite parts are when Mrs Brown says something rude, hahahahahaha. Genius. Cos, no one expects a little old women to come out with such things.

I bet this kind of gold will run and run.

Quote: sootyj @ May 10 2012, 9:36 AM BST

I laughed at it.

But I think that was only because it came after The Royal Bodyguard.

Mate! Wave Royal Bodyguard! From the same team that comissioned My Hero, the latest few series of My Family (Kris Marshall's departure being the start of that), Cancelled After You've Gone ?

Genuinely think the BBC has lost its comedy compass Eh?

England Scotland

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 10 2012, 2:52 PM BST

My favourite parts are when Mrs Brown says something rude, hahahahahaha. Genius. Cos, no one expects a little old women to come out with such things.

I bet this kind of gold will run and run.

Oh yeah just like the Gran in Catherine Tate, but Tate did it so much better.

Quote: Vince White @ May 10 2012, 5:42 PM BST

Oh yeah just like the Gran in Catherine Tate, but Tate did it so much better.

Mrs Brown was around for years on stage, way before that hack Tate came along.

Not that I'm giving Mrs Brown any credibility of course :S

I like Mrs. Brown's Boys and would say the fact you have to make a thread to specifically hate on it proves there is something special about it. Tons of forgettable comedy aired between the canceling of After You've Gone (2008) and the airing of Mrs. Brown's Boys (2011)... why link the two?

Problem being that, people who send scripts to the BBC tend to write a copy of the stuff they're showing and usually to a lesser standard.

The BBC don't run scripts that people send in, so I can't see how this is a problem.
One presumes that re-commisioning is loosely based on popularity and viewing figures - cancellations , like-wise.
Personally I don't mind it - will watch it if it's on, but wouldn't Sky+ it .
It's sort of like 'Bread' with swearing.

Quote: Lazzard @ May 10 2012, 6:40 PM BST

It's sort of like 'Bread' with swearing.

Laughing out loud That is a brilliant analysis.