Yes, Prime Minister to return Page 3

How? How did it ruin stuff? Episodes don't stop being good because something later was rubbish! The later stuff wasn't as good, but Roseanne in its prime was jolly good sitcom.

Dan

It's a great time for something like this to come back

Quote: swerytd @ March 30 2012, 8:46 PM BST

How? How did it ruin stuff? Episodes don't stop being good because something later was rubbish! The later stuff wasn't as good, but Roseanne in its prime was jolly good sitcom.

Dan

Well, you do have a point when put that way, yes, the earlier good episodes in a sitcom cannot materially be affected by the quality of later 'bad' episodes. But people do not generally separate parts of a TV series that way when discussing their favourite TV shows, which is a common pastime, quite rightly.

The whole series is refered to as if it's a product. So if the last bit was a let down on the first bit then this will affect its status in many viewers' eyes. Because it just does. OFAH still takes a slating from many, saying it was spoiled by going on so long while not being so good anymore. Its once great reputation has therefore been diminished by this. That's just what happens, people grade and compare and judge these things all the time and put them into top ... lists. When OFAH usually wins, you can bet it's the early stuff people are loyally focusing on. If it only started at say, series 5 or 6, there is no way on earth OFAH would be 'the nation's favourite'.

Well, not really cos the first few series of OFAH aren't that great. Series 3 is moderately better than the first two, but it's the fourth series onwards where it gets really good.

But however many they make, you can't 'break' the middle ones, as far as I'm concerned.

It's so hard to get sitcom right -- even *good* sitcoms will have their highs and lows -- isn't it worth making six more of anything, if there is a chance of one *really* great episode of something coming out of it?

Conversely, if you don't make six more, there is absolutely no chance of making that great episode. So, what's better? No chance or a little bit of a chance?

You've got to be in it to win it, for want of a better cliche. (And that phrase works much better in Henning Wehn's voice)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 30 2012, 3:46 PM BST

I don't get this 'don't make any more, you'll spoil it' point-of-view.

I agree, although there always has been this public attitude towards the arts. It certainly happens with paintings and music, where an artist's reputation can be damaged if he produces work which is inferior, or even just a bit different; apparently Shubert didn't want anyone to know that he also composed children's music.

It seems some of the public judge work according to how they think they should like it, rather than on its own merits.

It is no coincidence that some of the most fondly remembered shows are those that knew when to quit.

I see what you are saying about the best shows knowing when to quit, such as Fawlty Towers. However I think if they are going to re-vamp Yes, Prime Minister, which incidentally is one of my favourite 80s sitcoms, I think it can work.

I saw the West End show that they are basing the new series on, and in the theatre the modernisation really worked! I do think some of you have a point about the whole current Conservative Government/coalition satire, but perhaps that will provide the show with more relevance.

I for one can't wait to see the new version! And apparently the stage version is set to return! What a great year for Yes, Prime Minister fans and for British comedy in general!

I found this site: http://www.yesprimeministertickets.com/

Is it the official? I do hope they update it soon with more information on the theatre revival! I for one will be first in line to book my tickets!

(Slightly twee but here goes...)

What is the matter with Mary Jane?
She's perfectly well and hasn't a pain,
And its lovely rice pudding for dinner again,
What is the matter with Mary Jane?

Only ever seen bits of this, so would be open to trying the new one.

To add to the 'bad' episode tainting a whole series thing - My Family. Great until series 5, good from series 6-9 then nose dived during 10 & 11. People only remember your last.

Antony Jay also wrote the films Nuns On The Run and (much better) Clue.

Jonathan Lynn, not Antony Jay.

Quote: Aaron @ December 9 2012, 1:34 PM GMT

Jonathan Lynn, not Antony Jay.

Sorry, yes. Unfortunately he also wrote Sgt Bilko...

What's that html you included, Aaron, because it doesn't seem to be working?

Not HTML, BCG Code. It doesn't do anything - just yet. ;)

It won't return most probs.

Quote: Wwe222 333 @ December 10 2012, 9:52 PM GMT

It won't return most probs.

Are you talking about the series that has already been filmed and is expected to start next month? ;)