Secret Policeman's Ball 2012 Page 2

The poster was indeed from Amnesty itself, not a PR company or any other organisation.

Quote: David Bussell @ February 21 2012, 3:13 PM GMT

The original poster claims to be from Amnesty International. Are you suggesting this is a scam?

I am amazed that anyone in the comedy industry would use the term scam in the same conversation as The Secret Policeman's Ball or Amnesty International but hey oh, everyone to their own I guess. Anyway they spammed and they apologised, so let's not dwell too long on it.

I see David Walliams and Jimmy Carr have now been added to the already vast line up so it's going to be a great show.

Quote: Martin Caine @ February 21 2012, 6:16 PM GMT

I am amazed that anyone in the comedy industry would use the term scam in the same conversation as The Secret Policeman's Ball or Amnesty International

I didn't mean that either were scammers, I was just questioning the original poster's integrity in light of your comment that he didn't work for Amnesty International (despite claiming that he did).

:D Met someone who's working on production team for this the other day, wish I'd remembered to mention your political protest. Right on bro

Quote: AJGO @ February 21 2012, 8:56 PM GMT

:D Met someone who's working on production team for this the other day, wish I'd remembered to mention your political protest. Right on bro

It's not a political protest at all - just a severe dislike of shitty promotion. I buy and invest in things because of adverts. I opt out of other things because of different adverts. Amnesty are deserving of my contribution but then so are Cancer Research and the Red Cross. All this incident has done is convince me to bet my money on a different pony.

I agree absolutely. I wouldn't go into Amnesty's offices and clog up all their work and personal conversations trying to promote myself and then be surprised that people didn't want to give me money. Feel a bit bad for intern/PR person that they're getting a slating but they surely got that extremely competitive role because they claimed to have a superior understanding of networking etiquette

Anyone watch this?

Watched it, didn't enjoy much apart from Eddie Izzard.

Watching now; Russell Brand was good. Some bits seem a bit pointless.

I was disappointed that Kristen Wiig wasn't on stage long.

I fast forwarded through most of the rest to be honest.

Quote: zooo @ March 10 2012, 12:52 AM GMT

I was disappointed that Kristen Wiig wasn't on stage long.

I know it's for charity, but that song with her, Catherine Tate and Matt Berry was piss weak stuff.

Was a bit short and odd.

I've the original show collections on DVD and they're pretty ropey at times, but this was really quite woeful.

A few good sets from the British comics on the bill, but despite having heard their routines multiple times in the past, they were all still funnier than the Americans. Is that really the best stand-up on offer from a country producing Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory? Christ. (Interesting to note that the venue seemed to be only about half full too, so presumably the Americans themselves aren't that enthusiastic about the names who signed up?)

And good GOD how relieved I am that Brand is over in America now. Again, some funny stuff in his set (amidst all the tiring tangents that lead to him being cut off), but can you imagine if he was still here doing panel shows and TV series? Jesus, the tedium of the needlessly flowery verbal diarrhoea would be excruciating.

Also reminded me why it is a VERY GOOD THING that TOTP no longer exists.

Old man rant ends.

Quote: Aaron @ March 10 2012, 1:33 AM GMT

Is that really the best stand-up on offer from a country producing Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory?

Nope. That list would include Paul F Tompkins, Maria Bamford, Louis C.K, Marc Maron, Zach Galifianakis, and on, and on.

Quote: Aaron @ March 10 2012, 1:33 AM GMT

Also reminded me why it is a VERY GOOD THING that TOTP no longer exists.

:(