Secret Policeman's Ball 2012

Hi Everyone, Amnesty International here! Just dropping you a line to make sure you were in the loop about The Secret Policeman's Ball 2012, an annual comedy event to raise awareness of free speech and human rights work that Amnesty do around the world.
This year's event will take place on March 4th at Radio City Music Hall in New York and features a whole galaxy of comedy stars, including John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Russell Brand and Reggie Watts to name but a few.
For all forthcoming info on the event, plus a whole host of competitions and surprises, like us on www.facebook.com/secretpoliceman
or follow us on twitter @secretpoliceman
You shall go to the ball! Possibly!
For UK comedy fans we've just launched a competition to win flights, hotel and tickets to the Ball, which you can enter by clicking on this link http://on.fb.me/zSnBhZ
Hope to see you there!

As a result of this insulting spamming campaign I will be cancelling my monthly donation to Amnesty International forthwith. Have that on your conscience, intern.

I now rename you Spamnesty International....ha...ha...ha

Quote: Will Cam @ February 8 2012, 1:59 PM GMT

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Take that oppressed third worlders!

Quote: Will Cam @ February 8 2012, 1:59 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Oohhhh dear. Worst PR I've ever seen. I never thought I'd be deleting spam from a respected charity. Christ. THIS thread is the correct approach. It's all you needed to do. But look at the amount of time you spent digging up irrelevant threads and sewing seeds of ill-will. Don't go near the Internet if you don't have basic netiquette.

I'm surprised you gave these tools a thread of their own, Aaron. You must be in a good mood today. I would have gone the whole hog and IP-blocked the whole f**king org.

Quote: Aaron @ February 8 2012, 2:26 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Oohhhh dear. Worst PR I've ever seen. I never thought I'd be deleting spam from a respected charity. Christ. THIS thread is the correct approach. It's all you needed to do. But look at the amount of time you spent digging up irrelevant threads and sewing seeds of ill-will. Don't go near the Internet if you don't have basic netiquette.

We're so sorry that we upset you today. Secret Policeman's Ball has just launched and we got a little too excited about it, it wasn't our intention to get spammy. We hope you'll forgive us.

Quote: secret policeman @ February 8 2012, 3:56 PM GMT

We're so sorry that we upset you today. Secret Policeman's Ball has just launched and we got a little too excited about it, it wasn't our intention to get spammy. We hope you'll forgive us.

Spamming is generally frowned upon and has been for the best part of two decades. That applies to forums too. It shows a lack of respect for the people you're trying to reach out to.

Whoever's responsible needs a crash course in social media marketing. And manners in general.

Fortunately, the BCG is a nice bunch, and you've clearly already paid off the moderators, so WELCOME!

;)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 8 2012, 7:37 PM GMT

WELCOME!

Please refrain from shouting.

Quote: Badge @ February 8 2012, 7:41 PM GMT

Please refrain from shouting.

I see what you did there. Very clever.

Quote: secret policeman @ February 8 2012, 3:56 PM GMT

Right, who's next.....

......Come on Greenpeace you pale-faced bastards Pirate

Quote: David Bussell @ February 8 2012, 1:56 PM GMT

As a result of this insulting spamming campaign I will be cancelling my monthly donation to Amnesty International forthwith. Have that on your conscience, intern.

I take it that was a joke or am I just seeing the funny side of someone saying they are going to stop supporting free speech on a forum :)

The Secret Policemans Ball raises a lot of money for Amnesty International and amongst its patrons are some of the most influential people in comedy and though the spam issue may well have been instigated by some over zealous intern it was done for a good cause and they were trying to promote 4 superb competitions one of which I entered myself (a 15 second comedy video). There is still one competition open which is a chance for you to win tickets to the ball (inclusive of flights and hotel), so its well worth a visit to http://www.facebook.com/secretpoliceman and if I get to the last 5 (not likely) in the comedy comp vote for me, I would love a spot in front of a 5000+ audience ;)

Quote: Martin Caine @ February 21 2012, 10:57 AM GMT

I take it that was a joke or am I just seeing the funny side of someone saying they are going to stop supporting free speech on a forum :)

Maybe you missed the part where the poster hijacked something like a dozen threads to copy and paste this message. I think Amnesty is a worthy cause and I was happy to donate to it, but spam is spam whether its selling growth pills or gig tickets. Now another charity gets my donation.

Quote: David Bussell @ February 21 2012, 2:11 PM GMT

Maybe you missed the part where the poster hijacked something like a dozen threads to copy and paste this message. I think Amnesty is a worthy cause and I was happy to donate to it, but spam is spam whether its selling growth pills or gig tickets. Now another charity gets my donation.

You are correct in the fact I did miss the spamming. I could fully understand your stance if you was to say that you would never buy tickets to the Policeman's Ball because of their audacity of infringing on your eye time in such a manner but to blame Amnesty International who in fact had no real part in it, does seem a bit strange. The Ball will be on Channel 4 in March if you boycott it I am sure everyone will fully understand. ;)

Quote: Martin Caine @ February 21 2012, 3:11 PM GMT

You are correct in the fact I did miss the spamming. I could fully understand your stance if you was to say that you would never buy tickets to the Policeman's Ball because of their audacity of infringing on your eye time in such a manner but to blame Amnesty International who in fact had no real part in it, does seem a bit strange. The Ball will be on Channel 4 in March if you boycott it I am sure everyone will fully understand ;)

The original poster claims to be from Amnesty International. Are you suggesting this is a scam?