Live Earth Page 2

Hey you mean men. Come on.
That woman spends a million hours a week getting that body. Age is not so kind to the female species.

I am no fan of hers but I admire her as an entertainer & as a business woman. Her marketing is second to none.

I've only liked her as she's got older. "Like a Prayer" was classic.

I'm watching now - supposedly highlights at nearly 1AM. Although I just saw Killers at T in the Park twenty minutes ago and everything now is an anti climax

Quote: charley rance @ July 7, 2007, 11:29 PM

Age is not so kind to the female species.

Don't you mean kids aren't so kind to the female species.

Quote: ajp29 @ July 7, 2007, 10:07 PM

I have the solution burn the celebrities as fuel.

lololol

Quote: David Chapman @ July 8, 2007, 12:49 AM

I've only liked her as she's got older. "Like a Prayer" was classic.

I'm watching now - supposedly highlights at nearly 1AM. Although I just saw Killers at T in the Park twenty minutes ago and everything now is an anti climax

The Killers are just amazing...my friend was on the barrier for them at Glastonbury! Damn him...

And there was me thinking this thread was about saving the planet (or some such bullshit). It's all a conspiracy you know ... just to keep the plebs side-tracked. Doesn't matter what it is: 'terr-ism', global warming, eco-this-an'-that, conservation, rain forests, fox-hunting, PC-ness, 20 bins outside yer bloody front door so some jobs-worth knows which bloody landfill to put each type in, and any other old crap to stop you thinking about what an abysmal job some load of amateurs with big egos are doing about running the country. An' if there's a profit to make out of it as well, then so much the better (no point otherwise). Ooooh I do feel cross today!

p.s. Oh, and by weight, there are far more insects on this planet than humans. What the **** are they doing about saving it?!? Sod all methinks!

Yeah those bastards, telling me to turn my TV off at night. How dare they help me get a lower electricity bill?!
It's all a conspiracy!

I just can't see how this concert is going to make a difference. Other than add to the problem. To most of the audience, I'm sure, it's more about 'being there' than about doing anything positive.

I only watched a little of it yesterday but the bits I saw left me cold. Ironically.

Quote: charley rance @ July 7, 2007, 11:29 PM

I am no fan of hers but I admire her as an entertainer & as a business woman. Her marketing is second to none.

Surely a sad testament to the current nature of the world... that holds looks and marketing above real talent.

*Sigh*

Oh... and did anyone see Lily Allen drunk and swearing during an 'interview' at 'T in the Park'

Ohhh... edgy, eh? Eh?

F**kin' twaddle. The world has gone mad. We all deserve what we get.

They reckon they were 'raising awareness'. Although I'm sure a lot of them were just there because they thought it would make them look good.

But really, if we do all do a bit more, it's not exactly going to do any harm is it?
We don't have to be cynical ALL the time.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ July 8, 2007, 3:31 PM

I just can't see how this concert is going to make a difference. Other than add to the problem. To most of the audience, I'm sure, it's more about 'being there' than about doing anything positive.

Exactly. It's the same with all of these things. Live 8 especially.

Raising awareness my ar**!

I've been switching all my non-essential lights/appliances off and recycling my rubbish... and using public transport when I can, for years. While I would love to believe that most other people cared too, the fact is they don't. They are more interested in what they can get for themselves... and a concert (or a few concerts) is only going to affect a small percentage of the population of the planet (do you think China, as a nation, cares?) and only then for a while. Not a very good or economical method for actually getting anything done, is it?

Did you see Terrance Stamp's speech? Do you imagine the people shouting and cheering all the way though it will do anything about the problem?

Issac Asimov once wrote that the only way for the Earth's problems to be solved would be to 'make people uncomfortable'... and there's the rub. Not enough people would ever agree to that. They want their big cars and their cheap products... because they 'work bloody hard for them'.

I'd love not to be cynical but unfortunately, I have the evidence of my own eyes to back it up.

Going the way we are, I reckon we'll be lucky if we make it to another thousand years on this planet. But we can all go to our doom singing the words to a Madonna track... so it can't be all bad, can it?

I remember when I was 11, Howard out of Take That said that we shouldn't leave the tap running while we were brushing our teeth. So henceforth I didn't.

It works!!

Except, Take That weren't on Live Earth, so it probably was all a waste of time. :(

Ooh, my 999th post. Wave How exciting.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ July 8, 2007, 4:01 PM

Raising awareness my ar**!

I've been switching all my non-essential lights/appliances off and recycling my rubbish... and using public transport when I can, for years. While I would love to believe that most other people cared too, the fact is they don't. They are more interested in what they can get for themselves... and a concert (or a few concerts) is only going to affect a small percentage of the population of the planet (do you think China, as a nation, cares?) and only then for a while. Not a very good or economical method for actually getting anything done, is it?

Did you see Terrance Stamp's speech? Do you imagine the people shouting and cheering all the way though it will do anything about the problem?

Issac Asimov once wrote that the only way for the Earth's problems to be solved would be to 'make people uncomfortable'... and there's the rub. Not enough people would ever agree to that. They want their big cars and their cheap products... because they 'work bloody hard for them'.

I'd love not to be cynical but unfortunately, I have the evidence of my own eyes to back it up.

Going the way we are, I reckon we'll be lucky if we make it to another thousand years on this planet. But we can all go to our doom singing the words to a Madonna track... so it can't be all bad, can it?

Right on!

Quote: zooo @ July 8, 2007, 4:06 PM

Ooh, my 999th post. Wave How exciting.

Don't waste your next one... ;)

Oh no, did it end up being the marmite licking debacle? Oh dear.