• England
  • 3,063 posts

I'm reading the BCG forums.

There are some excellent posts! Laughing out loud

Ben Clark

• Tuesday 3rd September 2019, 1:12pm
  • Greenville, SC, United States
  • 3 posts

Reading a book called Ishmael. It's about a gorilla that can communicate with people telepathically. Such an interesting book, a lot of philosophical dialogues between Ishmael and men. Also reading a book to learn portuguese. I will be flying to Portugal next month in order to buy apartment in Portugal https://tranio.com/portugal/ and even if I have a very short time I'd like to learn at least how to say water, salt, toilet and stuff.

ellisael

• Thursday 5th September 2019, 10:20am [Edited]
  • United States
  • 11 posts

I am reading Tina Fey's Bossypants for some inspiration and now i am reading for college- but it is turning out to be quite a lovely read. Most sociology textbooks shy away from looking at participant anthropology, but my sociology textbooks are especially interested in the meeting point of the individual psyche and the collective psyche. I am imagining the characters for a sketch show that i can pull from it :D

Michael Monkhouse

• Monday 23rd September 2019, 5:36pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 4,232 posts

Charles Webb, author of the novel 'The Graduate', refused to take any money from the film because it was 'overly commercial and harmful to my reputation as a serious novelist'. That says a lot. It says F**k you, you f**king stupid f**king f**ker, ffs for no more f**king work you coulda made a f**king million and bought your family a nice house and given the rest to Oxfam and Amnesty and medical research, f**k your f**king poncey pretentious pompuos f**king shit. 'Reputation?' Didn't even f**king work: 'Yerse, Hemingway, Fitzagerald, Webb' - they'd think it's the blonde guy off the Peep Show. F**k you, f**khead.

BTF

• Monday 23rd September 2019, 11:02pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 407 posts

Wolf of the Plains. Conn Iggulden. Novel about the rise of Genghis Khan.

Some books I read as a child. Sometimes I like to reread my favourites.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Monday 23rd September 2019, 11:10pm
  • England
  • 16,512 posts
Quote: BTF @ 23rd September 2019, 11:02 PM

Some books I read as a child. Sometimes I like to reread my favourites.

Yes absolutely. I've read Treasure Island about three times now and at this moment feel the urge to read it again now you've said that and reminded me. :)

"Oooh Arrr, Jim lad. Be a'sailin' on't marnin' toide." Pirate

Rood Eye

• Monday 23rd September 2019, 11:25pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 3,063 posts
Quote: BTF @ 23rd September 2019, 11:02 PM

Genghis Khan.

Genghis Khan was responsible for the deaths of tens of millions.

He also had around 500 wives and concubines and is thus responsible, directly and indirectly, for the births of tens of millions of children over the past 800+ years.

I have a mental image of God (at some time or other) checking a huge register of births and deaths then calling Satan and saying "You can send Genghis up here now: he's just broken even!"

Definitely Tarby

• Monday 23rd September 2019, 11:41pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 1,857 posts
Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 23rd September 2019, 5:36 PM

Charles Webb, author of the novel 'The Graduate', refused to take any money from the film because it was 'overly commercial and harmful to my reputation as a serious novelist'. That says a lot. It says F**k you, you f**king stupid f**king f**ker, ffs for no more f**king work you coulda made a f**king million and bought your family a nice house and given the rest to Oxfam and Amnesty and medical research, f**k your f**king poncey pretentious pompuos f**king shit. 'Reputation?' Didn't even f**king work: 'Yerse, Hemingway, Fitzagerald, Webb' - they'd think it's the blonde guy off the Peep Show. F**k you, f**khead.

Reminds me of the scene from Absolutely with the patient in hospital with a book stuck up his arse. Hardback. Morwenna Banks is the doctor and when the patient apologises for taking up her time she says "That's quite alright there's a lot of it about. Last week I had a man in here with a magazine up his nob".

BTF

• Tuesday 24th September 2019, 6:29am [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 407 posts

Yes. Genghis was all of that! The novel is about his childhood and how he (effectively) became Genghis. His first wife, Borte, bore him at least four sons and Iggulden writes more novels about them and the legacy of Genghis and the dynasty.

Michael Monkhouse

• Friday 27th September 2019, 3:06pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 4,232 posts

I am reading 'Happy Days' by Samuel Beckett. F**k me, is it boring. Can someone tell me what page Fonzie enters, so I can just skip to that bit?

Briosaid

• Monday 7th October 2019, 8:51pm
  • Scotland
  • 1,083 posts

'The Handmaid's Tale'. I didn't watch the tv version but curiosity has finally got me. I'm about a third of the way through and find it quite creepy. Not the sort of book to encourage a relaxed good night's sleep.

lofthouse

• Monday 7th October 2019, 9:42pm
  • Nowhere, England
  • 9,032 posts
Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th September 2019, 3:06 PM

I am reading 'Happy Days' by Samuel Beckett. F**k me, is it boring. Can someone tell me what page Fonzie enters, so I can just skip to that bit?

It's also quite creepy

Some dude in his thirties that seems to spend all his time hanging out with college boys

I'm reading The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons

Briosaid

• Wednesday 16th October 2019, 8:23pm [Edited]
  • Scotland
  • 1,083 posts

'Kingdom' - Robyn Young. About Robert the Bruce. Luckily it's written by a woman so we have more than just descriptions of battle formations.

Kenny Bania

• Wednesday 16th October 2019, 9:54pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 197 posts

I've got two on the go at the moment :

The Insurmountable problem by Major Setback
What's for tea by Roland Butter

DaButt

• Wednesday 16th October 2019, 9:58pm
  • The Lone Star State, United States
  • 13,641 posts

A rather dry textbook covering cryptography.