Writers who cameoed in their sitcom Page 3

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 19 2011, 9:21 PM GMT

just take a closer look for the scarecrow which appears in every show, in the background, standing in one of the fields...

He's a field?

Jeremy Dyson has a few cameos in the League of Gentleman

Well it seems they're all at it then. 'Writers who haven't cameoe'd (just to be sure) in their own sitcom' would be a much shorter thread. I think it gives writers, who are a strange breed of hobbit, a bit of a thrill being filmed now and again.

Quote: zooo @ December 19 2011, 8:37 PM GMT

Does Ronnie Barker's voice cameo as the judge type bloke count in the opening of Porridge?
Probably not.

Edit*

Definitely not, since he didn't write it... D'oh.

I'm sure he contributed an uncredited line or two.

I think it tended to happen less in the past when the line between writers and performers was less blurred; these days a lot of writers started out writing and performing. Though even back in the day Jimmy Perry, and later Peter Tilbury, wrote their first sitcoms as vehicles for themselves, only to find themselves relegated to the shadows.

Isn't a cameo when a person appears as his or herself or as a character they have played elsewhere?
If not, Barry Kemp was in an episode of Taxi, playing a guy interested in Alex. Kemp went on to create Newhart, the one where Bob and his wife buy an Inn in Connecticut.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 19 2011, 6:37 PM GMT

In the last episode (and indeed the last scene) of Drop the Dead Donkey Guy Jenkin plays a removals man.

And doesn't Andy Hamilton provide the voice for Gerry, Damien's cameraman?

Answer: yes.

Quote: shaggy292 @ December 20 2011, 6:24 PM GMT

And doesn't Andy Hamilton provide the voice for Gerry, Damien's cameraman?

Answer: yes.

I think that is more of a starring role than a cameo as he does appear fairly often (or rather his voice does).

Spoilsport!

Richard Curtis in 'The Tall Guy'. I am staggered to hear that The 'Only Fools and Horses' theme tune is not Rodney. I have been telling people that it is all my life.

Console

Nicholas Lyndhurst does play the drums on the theme tune, if that's any consolation to you? It's a little-known fact.*

*may not be a fact

David Renwick appears in an episode of One Foot in the Grave. He appears on a gigantic TV set in the Meldrew's bedroom playing a doctor being interviewed by Lorraine Kelly.

Alan Simpson appeared in a few Hancock's Half Hour radio episodes

More than a few. He was a fairly regular supporting vocal artiste.

I misread the title of this thread as 'Writers who canoed their own sitcom' - a genuinely interesting prospect.

Too many single malts. At least I'm not behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Oh shit, I am.

Probably the most obscure yet . . the Navy Lark I listened to today had Laurie Wyman (the writer) playing a Devon fisherman . .

Just thought I'd mention it . . :)