The Sitcom Trials 2012 Page 6

SITCOM TRIALS - TIME TO VOTE (Everyone welcome)

Right everyone. There are 43 scripts at the Sitcom Trials egroup which are in contention for the Bristol show at the Wardrobe Theatre on Friday March 30th (tickets on sale now).

You can find them all here:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/

I'd like you all to read, review and vote on them now. You post your votes here in this forum, or over in the other forum, choice is yours.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/ https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/23202/

Vote YES, MAYBE or NO to every script you read, and give a brief review of each to prove you've read it, and to provide valuable feedback. Please be honest yet tactful ("Didn't find the characters interesting, and the gags fell flat" is preferable to "This was shit and made my eyes bleed"). It would be very helpful if you could list your reviews in alphabetical order, and post them all together.

The deadline for posting your votes is midnight Weds March 7th.

Don't worry if you don't get to read them all, but it would be splendid if you possibly can.

Your votes are counted Yes=2, MAYBE=1, NO= minus 1. So anything you don't vote on doesn't affect the figures.

The top five scoring scripts will be performed at the Wardrobe Theatre on Friday 30th March (unless deemed unstageable - we're unlikey to have the resources to properly do justice to a sitcom set directly after the Tet Offensive and featuring a flotilla of helicopter gunships dropping napalm on villages... with hilarious consequences).

The scripts are (in alphabetical order):

A French Affair
A Game of Two Halves
All the Fun of the Fair
As Plain As Day
Baked: Pilot
Bewilderment Years
Big Boys Bad
Chairman Sal
Cold Call
Cooper: Hangover
Deirdre Dooley's Dilemma
Games Night: Monopoly
Geezers
Honest
Istanbul
Limbo
Loxley's Poker Night
Making Heavy Weather
Me and Mrs Jones
Mr Pipe
Moonstricken
Scream Girls
Shock Treatment
Social
Stanburg
Suburban Bohemia: New Management
TFL
Take a Penny Leave a Penny: Kevin and Nevin
There's Been a Murder: Chainsaws
The Duplicate
The Gaia Centre for Holistic Healing
The MacArthurs and Me
The Offy
The Old Legion
The Space Between
The Tragic Life of Roger Bulwark
Three Moons
To Live or Die
Toil and Trouble
Welliott Marsh and the Big Soak
Whitecoats
You've Missed a Bit: The Best Medicine
You've Missed a Bit: Faith

Best of luck to everyone who's entered, and have fun reviewing and voting!

The list reads like the line-up for the Grand National :D

43 scripts and the silence is deafening.

I'm reading through some of these at the moment and there is a decent quality about the scripts.

Good Luck to everyone.

Alan, with the 43 riders for the Grand National, are you going to do the odds for them ;)

Quote: spiggle @ March 1 2012, 3:18 PM GMT

43 scripts and the silence is deafening.

I'm reading through some of these at the moment and there is a decent quality about the scripts.

Good Luck to everyone.

Alan, with the 43 riders for the Grand National, are you going to do the odds for them ;)

With 34 scripts left to read in 7 days, prob not :D

Blimey, I was looking forward to reading all these and now I suddenly find promoting a show every night in Adelaide is taking up a hell of a lot of my brain. I hope to get these babies read and reviewed and voted on, I don't want to let the side down. Well done for that level of entries, for a one-off Sitcom Trials (as opposed to a big season like London) that's the most entries we've seen in years. Congrats to Vince.

Kev F
Doing this in Australia, in case you wondered: http://kevfcomicart.blogspot.com.au/

Quote: Kev F @ March 1 2012, 11:19 PM GMT

Blimey, I was looking forward to reading all these and now I suddenly find promoting a show every night in Adelaide is taking up a hell of a lot of my brain. I hope to get these babies read and reviewed and voted on, I don't want to let the side down. Well done for that level of entries, for a one-off Sitcom Trials (as opposed to a big season like London) that's the most entries we've seen in years. Congrats to Vince.

Kev F
Doing this in Australia, in case you wondered: http://kevfcomicart.blogspot.com.au/

Not so fast, Monsieur Sutherland, for two writers have pulled their scripts from the competition ("A Game of Two Halves" / "Honest"), bringing the total down to 41 - which is still a great number and cheers to all who entered.

Meanwhile, some of the Bristol team (Angie, Hannah, John and Robin) were at "The Secret Comedians" earlier tonight, performing the very funny cross-dressing sitcom "Twelve Knight Street Motors" by Bart Hulley (and William Shakespeare), as a warm up for the brilliant Tania Edwards who was previewing her Edinburgh show(taniaedwardscomedy.com/). And we even videoed it. Hopefully we'll put the video up on the blog as soon as Viv (also from the Bristol team) works out how to do it.

--Vince

Quote: Kev F @ March 1 2012, 11:19 PM GMT

Kev F

Not normally being the paranoid type Kev, but is there not the chance of another writer worried yours is much better, giving yours a scathing review possibly putting other readers of even reading yours???

I've thought about this. There's got to be a tonne of ways to work the system. Set up alternate accounts to vote for yours twice, run down the ones you think are best to put other people off.

I came to the conclusion though, that if I'm approaching the whole thing honestly and hoping to win on merit then the majority of other people will do the same and good will out.

I say, crack on with reviewing and keep your fingers crossed for a good result.

That's a lot of effort. If there is one thing writers are, it's lazy.

Be more worried about them not getting to your script cos it starts with a 'Z'!

Dan

Maybe next time it would be better to not make any feedback public until the five successful writers have been told they are through? Rather, just send a private email to the organisers with your ratings and reviews.

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ March 2 2012, 12:42 PM GMT

Maybe next time it would be better to not make any feedback public until the five successful writers have been told they are through? Rather, just send a private email to the organisers with your ratings and reviews.

Oh bless your innocent cotton socks Alan, have you not been through this before? Sitcom Trials online voting is a bloodbath. Let it commence.

It seems all the reviews so far have been uploaded to the Sitsac egroup http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/messages/10508 (there was probably a memo from Vince that I missed). So that means the poor sensitive souls of the BCG group need not have their feelings hurt by reading them.

I'm beginning my reading now.

Quote: Kev F @ March 3 2012, 6:44 AM GMT

Oh bless your innocent cotton socks Alan, have you not been through this before? Sitcom Trials online voting is a bloodbath. Let it commence.

It seems all the reviews so far have been uploaded to the Sitsac egroup http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/messages/10508 (there was probably a memo from Vince that I missed). So that means the poor sensitive souls of the BCG group need not have their feelings hurt by reading them.

So Kev, all our years of hard work and dedication could destroyed by tactical voting, and sometimes the opinion of someone that can't even write a comedy. scarey mate and definitely a bloodbath of wrongness.
I'm writing my reveiws now and I don't feel qualified to judge someone elses work, cos I'm in it as well, just my opinion that's all....

I am wondering how many times Kev can have exactly the same conversation...

Dan

It's normal that people entering for the first time have these kind of doubts. It all works out in the end. Just remember that you can vote for your own script. People often forget that!

Quote: Kev F @ March 3 2012, 6:44 AM GMT

I think the voting on the SitsVac egroup is just the tip of the iceberg, and I suspect that votes will start to appear on this message board as per usual. I certainly stipulated that everyone has the choice of where to send their votes.