Comedy Titanics? Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ July 4, 2007, 10:59 AM

Can anybody think of real comedy disasters that stunk out the schedules? I'm thinking along the lines of shows like Johnny Vaughn's Orrible, which premiered in the same week as the Twin Towers attack and actually attracted more vitriol and anger in the papers?

I knew a bloke who made an appearance in that show. He was a nutter so I'm glad it was shit.

lol I won't be bad mouthing Sean Lock I love 15 storeys. Yes green green grass was rubbish. Going straight I do really like but as a follow up to the great porridge it was not so good but i wouldnt call it a titanic.

does anyone remember a sitcom about a footballer which was on in the late 70's?
i think it was called FEET FIRST. possibly on ITV. i loved it. but i was about 10. i seem to remember that they used footage of Watford playing.

Anything with football is an automatic Titanic IMO...

With reference to an earlier point, Trevors World of Sport started life as a TV show then went to radio when the Beeb didn't recommision it. Which caused the writer who's name escapes me to throw a hissy fit and say he was washing his hands of tv comedy.

Quote: chipolata @ July 11, 2007, 10:29 AM

With reference to an earlier point, Trevors World of Sport started life as a TV show then went to radio when the Beeb didn't recommision it. Which caused the writer who's name escapes me to throw a hissy fit and say he was washing his hands of tv comedy.

Andy Hamilton. Who's arguably the best radio sitcom writer around. Certainly in my opinion. He did co-write Drop The Dead Donkey, which was not so bad, if my memory serves me correctly.

;)

Dan

Drop The Dead Donkey was, to put it simply, immense. I'd love it if they could do some more, but seems unlikely now.

Home Again by James Hendrie and Ian Brown. Need I say more?

For me, it wasn't so much the show that was bad, as the direction. It was literally unwatchable. Really, really f**king weird camera angles, zooms, pans and such. Very offputting.

Yeah, I know what you mean, Aaron. There was one I remember where the camera kinda
came down from the ceiling sideways or something. Maybe it was because it wasn't shot in front of a live studio audience. Or at least, I'm assuming all that laughing wasn't done by a drugged audience, threatened with death. What happened was, the directed said, "Laugh - or we'll shoot you." Naturally, he meant with the camera. In the end, of course, the audience didn't die. Not of laughter, anyway.

I went to see that being recorded.

It was rubbish.

Dan

I nominate the Titanic film as one of the greatest comedy titanics for the following:

The casting of a teeny weeny boy to play a character that was 10 years older than he looked (the part was 19-ish, Crapprio looked about 9)

The number of times they ran in and out of the bowels of the ship, I was praying for another iceberg to end my misery and the passengers

The feeble portrayal of all Irish as riverdancing up-for-a-laugh incomprehensible party animals.

The moronic teen audience that laughed as an unfortunate actor fell the length of the upturned ship and smashed his head on a piece of steel. Death ain't never been so funny.

The number of times they ran about in ice cold water that would have rendered them unconscious in seconds.

The number of times the ship bobbed up for a cliched Hollywood schlock-horror ending.

The exec who asked when Titanic 2 was coming out.

I made up the last 2 but every time I think of Titanic I think of how it was the only time I was too embarrassed to ask for my money back.

Quote: David Chapman @ July 7, 2007, 11:17 AM

With pedigree of writers and lead characters it should have been brilliant but was really a let down. Tame humour, predictable gags and cliched characters.

If this is the definition, then it has to be “Blessed”

Top writer (turned absolute tosser) Ben Elton, big name cast, prime BBC1 slot.

But the result was the most embarrassing lot of cak to have been puked in to the world.

I think it was actually although reading it I thought it was green Green Grass! Not that I can remember- senile old git!

Oh no - it was that Jasper Carrot thing - as if you didn't know!

Quote: Britcom Barry @ July 12, 2007, 3:32 PM

If this is the definition, then it has to be “Blessed”

Top writer (turned absolute tosser) Ben Elton, big name cast, prime BBC1 slot.

But the result was the most embarrassing lot of cak to have been puked in to the world.

Very nice, very tasteful.