dinnerladies Page 2

Well, as I said, I was being completely unfair and wrong and sort-of knew it... :)

When The Whistle Blows was just spoofing bad comedy really. As it was a comedy within a comedy, it wouldn't have worked if WTWB had been single camera - no contrast with the "real life" world of Millman et al.

The best kind of studio sitcom creates its own alternative and heightened universe, distinct (in a good way) from real life. The best kind of single camera sitcom lives as much in the real world as possible, yet somehow finds the (often unnoticed) humour in the mundane.

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 6 2006, 10:32 AM BST

I like this show a lot because it's one of the few examples of a quality mainstream sitcom, featuring nice characters you felt warmly about. It may not be on my top ten list of all time favourite comedies, but there's definitely a place for shows like this. Oh, and it knocked into a cocked hat most of BBC's usual Friday night efforts.

Ditto.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 8 2009, 10:02 AM BST

. The best kind of single camera sitcom lives as much in the real world as possible, yet somehow finds the (often unnoticed) humour in the mundane.

This is what the Dinnerladies did best but because it was in front of a studio audience these qualities got largely ignored. There was a lot of naturalistic dialogue, the sort of bad jokes that they have in The Royle Family that are meant to show the banter people have with each other rather than be funny, however by having the audience it seems as if those awful jokes in dinnerladies are Victoria Wood trying to be funny.

I have just remembered another dinnerladies impressive fact. It has to have one of the greatest theme tunes of all time. The full victoria wood sung version that I don't think is featured in any of the episodes.

I, for one, wish that the only thing Victoria Wood had never learnt to do was play the piano.

I always quite liked this; it was nice and funny.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 8 2009, 1:24 AM BST

I think one of the reasons why it isn't considered a true classic is that it seems caught between the brilliant Alan Bennett type observations and the Are You Being Served? style innuendo.

I don't recall all that much innuendo in it. Certainly not of the pace or quality as is seen in Are You Being Served?.

Quote: Aaron @ September 8 2009, 2:35 PM BST

I don't recall all that much innuendo in it.

I can't recall if it was shrouded in innuendo or not, but there was certainly a lot of sex chat.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 8 2009, 1:41 PM BST

I, for one, wish that the only thing Victoria Wood had never learnt to do was play the piano.

Timothy can you honestly say this is not one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Simple but affective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t8_vWhHcBE

Don't call me Timothy, please.

And no, it's an average song with banal lyrics. Victoria Wood has a poor voice and no breath control. And for a experienced pianist (as I am) she has an shockingly abysmal touch. As usual, when I hear this song I just feel embarrassed that such an otherwise-talented performer is so misguided when it comes to her musical abilities. Sorry.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 8 2009, 3:11 PM BST

And no, it's an average song with banal lyrics. Victoria Wood has a poor voice and no breath control. And for a experienced pianist (as I am) she has an shockingly abysmal touch. As usual, when I hear this song I just feel embarrassed that such an otherwise-talented performer is so misguided when it comes to her musical abilities. Sorry.

But how many "musical" acts do you enjoy? I'm not a huge fan of Victoria Woods song stuff, but then I'm not a great fan of that type of comedy period. Even with people like Flight of the Conchords, I'm usually glad when the song's over.

As usual, when I hear this song I just feel embarrassed that such an otherwise-talented performer is so misguided when it comes to her musical abilities. Sorry.

I don't know, but I would have thought she was quite self effacing about her 'musical abilities'? It's not as if she's released a serious album or something.

(is it?)

From my small amount of musical experience I know she isn't a great pianoist and that her singing voice isn't great however I think it think it is still a great vocal perfomrance because of the amount of passion she puts into it.
If I am honest I prefer this song to most of her stand up.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 8 2009, 3:24 PM BST

From my small amount of musical experience I know she isn't a great pianoist and that her singing voice isn't great however I think it think it is still a great vocal perfomrance because of the amount of passion she puts into it.
If I am honest I prefer this song to most of her stand up.

I quite agree. I really enjoy all of Victoria Wood's output and feel her songs are great. The dinnerladies theme has some very poignant and heartfelt lyrics. She is one of the greatest female comedians ever and I'll be glad when she's back on our screens this Christmas.

Oh well...

This is her best "sad song"...

Crush

And this is obviously her funniest...

Let's Do It

;)