dinnerladies Page 7

Actually (ahem) didn't Wood sort of do the Office type stuff with the docu-comedy type things she did? I think that's pretty succintly put. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrksPx_qLs

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 9 2009, 7:04 PM BST

To be fair, it was the defenders (not the critics) of dinnerladies that first raised the names of the other shows in support of their arguments. ;)

Yea to be honest, I hadn't read through the whole 7 pages.

For more information on Victoria Wood and her As Seen On TV mockumentarys see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Wood_As_Seen_On_TV_documentaries

Dinnerladies is rather good imo. I thinks it's much better than anything else she's done and miles better than her one woman shows. Especially the singing of the unfunniest songs ever written. Utter bilge.

I enjoy this show. I have it on DVD

I have just watched the Millennium episode which is by far the strongest. It has truly genius lines and a brilliantly dramatic ending. Also, it was the only time the sung version of the theme tune was used.
'The scared little choices you make without knowing take away from the thing you had at the start'. Genius.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 15 2009, 12:12 AM BST

'The scared little choices you make without knowing take away from the thing you had at the start'. Genius.

There's obviously a very thin line between genius and trite pseudo-philosophical bollocks then...

It might not sound much, but you have to hear it sung with the genius piano playing for it to really take effect.

Oh, it's a lyric, is it? In that case, it doesn't scan well either.

It does if you listen to the brilliant placement.

From the ep in question the best line was by twink when she was told to quickly finish a newly made cup of coffee and she says 'and risk burning my mouth. I've got a sex life to think of.'

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 15 2009, 1:13 AM BST

the best line was by twink

You do know that 'twink' is slang for a young gay man, don't you? :O

Oh wow, chipandale and wheeler! Chipandale was the reason I joined this board.

"Aaron, you need life! You should be shotdrowned you homo... etc."

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2009, 1:16 AM BST

You do know that 'twink' is slang for a young gay man, don't you? :O

I don't think Victoria Wood did, though.

I bet she did. Have you seen her ex husband?

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 15 2009, 12:57 AM BST

It might not sound much, but you have to hear it sung with the genius piano playing for it to really take effect.

Too right. The theme is very poignant especially in the Minnellium episode.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2009, 12:32 AM BST

There's obviously a very thin line between genius and trite pseudo-philosophical bollocks then...

I hardly think that's fair at all.

I watched the the old new year episode they showed the other night, to give it a chance to see if I was wrong about this show. Well I was slightly wrong in that I didn't think it was quite as abysmal as this. Maybe it was just an untypically bad episode, eh? :S