Comedy Coming Up

I've just noticed BBC2 have announced their summer/winter? line-up which includes another series of Saxondale, Miss Joycelyn and yet another sketch show, this time by Peter Se-wicz, the guy from Hardware.

I thought he was appealing in that but do we really need another sketch show? They wear me out. They're all so similar and dull.

Serafinowicz. Or summink. His show is kind of like Dead Ringers.

Yeah. We went to be the laughing on the Peter Serafinowicz show. It was funny.

His name is Dwayne & Darth Maul!

For the record here are some of the comedy shows appearing on a screen near you this summer:

The Thick of It: A new feature length special goes out on BBC4 next Tuesday. The prime minister has just resigned, an act which has send his party and the opposition into a tailspin. Our Guide

Fonejacker: Prank phone call comedy on E4. Starts 5th July. More info and clips on MySpace

Star Stories: A second series of the C4 celebrity satire.

Hyperdrive: the rather poor space sitcom returns to BBC2 for a second series. I'll get confirmation tomorrow but I expect it'll take the 21:30 slot on Thursday nights from the 12th July as the BBC2 comedy zone returns. Our Guide

Still Game: the excellent Scottish sitcom returns to BBC2 from the 12th July for a sixth series. The seven part sixth series includes guest appearances by Lorraine Kelly, a Pop Idol Winner and a world champion boxer. Our Guide

The Visit: A new BBC3 sitcom set in the visiting room of a low security prison. Our Guide

Saxondale: Steve Coogan returns as the world-travelled ex-roadie with anger management issues this autumn. Our Guide

Lead Balloon: Jack Dee's sitcom will also be back this autumn for a second season but will transfer from BBC4 to BBC2. Our Guide

The Peter Serafinowicz Show: BBC2 sketch series which 'sees the comic actor morphing into a huge range of characters for his new off-the-wall-sketch show'. I understand the show will feature an O! News segment - the spoof celebrity show he's tried out on YouTube (watch)

Little Miss Jocelyn: Another show making a digital to terrestrial jump... The second season of Jocelyn Jee Esien's BBC3 sketch show will be on BBC2 this autumn.

Suburban Shootout: I'm not sure why other news outlets are marking this as new news - we've all known for ages that this Channel Five comedy was to be back for a second season. Anyway, the gun-toting housewives will be back in the autumn for more turf warfare. Our Guide

No doubt more summer / autumn comedy to announce soon as ITV, C4 and BBC1 and BBC4 release their schedules. In the meantime check out our in production page - we try and keep a tab there as to what else is in development.

For example, we know that later in the year we should see: The IT Crowd 2, Grownups 2, Jam and Jerusalem 2, Not Going Out 2, Pulling 2, Benidorm 2, Green Green Grass 3 plus some new stuff like Hibbert and Long, Teenage Kicks and Angelo's.

(As an aside: It is interesting to note that, of the 20 new series listed in this post, over half of them are shows returning for a second season - it suggests that last year was a rather good vintage for debut series)

Not that i liked it much but i read Suburban Shootout's 2nd series is only 3 episodes.

Still we've got Dee, Coogan, Hardiker, Frost and Capidali (sp?) to come!

Don't forget School's Out on Saturday. On second thoughts, forget School's Out on Saturday Laughing out loud

Quote: ajp29 @ June 27, 2007, 3:53 PM

Don't forget School's Out on Saturday. On second thoughts, forget School's Out on Saturday Laughing out loud

I've seen the trailers for that - its not meant to be a comedy is it? Please tell me that's not meant to be funny!

Can't wait for The Peter Serafinowicz Show, that will be brilliant, he has a great comic mind.

Quote: Mark @ June 27, 2007, 7:05 PM

I've seen the trailers for that - its not meant to be a comedy is it? Please tell me that's not meant to be funny!

Its OK Mark 'its not meant to be comedy.' Is that better?

Quote: David H @ June 27, 2007, 10:24 AM

...yet another sketch show, this time by Peter Se-wicz, the guy from Hardware.

I thought he was appealing in that.

Perhaps if you said he was one quarter of Look Around You and one of the most entertaining characters in Spaced you might do him more justice. I've not even mentioned World of Pub or 15 Storeys High yet...

Yes, that is the worst one to associate him with!
He's close to being a comedy genius y'know. Well, almost.

I liked Hardware for the record. For the life of me, i can't remember that much of it, but i remember liking it.

The second series of The IT Crowd i was expecting to be aired by now. I did read "Spring" for it's running, but still, not even an ad.

Little Miss Jocelyn i thought was alright. Then it got repetitive. Lets hope she is a Little More Creative this time.

Suburban Shootout ... somebody kill me.

Not Going Out 2 will probably be the highlight to the year.

Quote: Walker @ June 29, 2007, 7:45 PM

The second series of The IT Crowd i was expecting to be aired by now. I did read "Spring" for it's running, but still, not even an ad.

They only filmed it recently.

I liked Suburban Shootout. Great idea too.
I am glad they are doing another series.