Outnumbered - Series 4 Page 5

Struggling for money is perceived by the middle-classes as being their burden; the poorest get benefits, the richest get tax cuts, and those in the middle have to pay.

That's true. As long as these two don't start moaning about it like most middle classers do. As happy liberals, they seem quite content. It's the professional middle class who are the worst for moaning, greedy, materialistic, class conscious and never happy with their lot.

They're definitely middle class.

Almsost 2 days since the last episode aired - the last in the current series for that matter - and no comments. Strange.

Well, just over 24 hours. Perhaps you have a comment to leave yourself, rather than just noting that no one else has done so?

Great series. Did start off a little on the slow side, but it built up nicely and these last few episodes were very good indeed. Did feel slightly lazy in how the Angela situation was cleared up before the end of the ep, but maybe that'll be followed up on in December. Hope the Christmas special is at the same standard.

I enjoyed them, but they're maybe not as good as they were now the kids are older.

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 8 2011, 11:53 PM BST

I enjoyed them, but they're maybe not as good as they were now the kids are older.

Agree.

Although I think Jake is better now. The story with the lap dancer was excellent.

Pole dancer!

Quote: zooo @ October 5 2011, 10:36 AM BST

They're definitely middle class.

Wouldn't be much of a comedy if it wasn't as the kids would just get a well deserved thick ear for their lip.

I'm not enjoying it (for reasons I pointed out) but my 11 year old son finds it hilarious, falls about! Maybe it's a life experience thing then.

Quote: dennispennis123 @ October 5 2011, 4:18 AM BST

Are they middle class? I would have said working class. The dad is a supply teacher, the mum a secretary of some sort. They live in a nice but average sized house and we've had storylines about them struggling for money before.

I'm amazed.. they are middle class, and out the other side! Virtually in orbit round the mid-drift of middle-classness.. Which is s set family for telly sitcoms, and that is fine. Money isn't really the measure of middle-class.

Quote: sidecar jon @ October 10 2011, 1:54 PM BST

Money isn't really the measure of middle-class.

Yes it is. In fact money and your relationship to the means of production are what defines class, comrade.

An eccentric old upperclass man who was brought up in a mansion, inherits the mansion, but manages to blow all the family money, is still upperclass. He doesn't suddenly magically become working class because he loses all his money.

I found the last episode very enjoyable but the scenario was farcical. I mean, even having an exchange student is a little unusual without having Angela 'kidnapping' a child and going into hiding from an American psychologist called Brick. Having said that I did like the fact that I forgot the student was there and he would pop up and comment. For him to be German was inspired.

The pole dancer thing was funny and I liked the 'is it better that they had both lied about their ages' part. Still a ridiculous set of circumstances.

Part of me thinks that the writers had these ideas knocking around and threw them all into a pot and got them out in one go. The danger is taking it too far which is why I think the Christmas episode might end up being the final one - it's getting harder to pull off that parent/child nuttiness.

I thought this series was definitely good enough to warrant another series (or three). It did start a bit slow, but by the end I was loving it almost as much as the other series.

Please make moooooooooooooore. :(

Andy Hamilton was on The News Quiz the other day and said that because of BBC cut-backs they'd have to kill one of the kids. :D