THE SITCOM TRIALS - October 21st 2011 Manchester Page 11

Quote: bushbaby @ October 7 2011, 10:55 AM BST

why can't you just have the voting sort of, out of ten points, the most points a script's awarded is the winner

Because then we wouldn't have nothing to bitch about...

Quote: bushbaby @ October 7 2011, 10:55 AM BST

why can't you just have the voting sort of, out of ten points, the most points a script's awarded is the winner

Explained earlier. That way the total is skewed towards the scripts that have been read and reviewed most, which is frequently the first in alphabetical order (though, to be fair, all but one voter this time round has read and reviewed every script they could).

There are many methods you could use, including giving marks out of 10 (tried it, nightmare to count), only giving positive marks (see above), or just choosing one favourite (which works in the live shows but is useless when you have 18 scripts and only 15 people vote).

This method works. I honestly cannot see why so many people react with such horror to negative marks. It's not like getting your script rejected out of hand by one person without any explanation, is it? It's getting a mixed range of comments, all of which should in some way help and inform the writer.

And the running total so far has no-one getting any lower then minus 6 and no-one getting any higher than plus 16. That means everyone's had Noes and everyone's had Yesses and Maybes (with 15 sets of votes cast, someone could technically be on minus 15 by now, and someone else on plus 30).

The Sitcom Trials has long compared itself to TV voting shows which, however much you hate them, have always involved people getting voted off, ie told No. Our first Edinburgh flyer described the show as Comedy Showcase meets Big Brother, and our spin-off show The Sitcom Mission currently describes itself as The X Factor for sitcoms. Other ways of being rejected as a sitcom writer are available.

Now, if you'd like to invite anyone to the show, show them this.

Quote: Kev F @ October 7 2011, 11:26 AM BST

The Sitcom Trials has long compared itself to TV voting shows which, however much you hate them, have always involved people getting voted off, ie told No.

Good idea for the next one...

Texts will cost no more than £1.03p plus your standard network charge...

Quote: RedZed333 @ October 7 2011, 11:50 AM BST

Good idea for the next one...

Texts will cost no more than £1.03p plus your standard network charge...

I'm sorry, have I never shown you this before?

What's that lettering in the bottom left hand corner? Scotch mist? The Sitcom Trials TV series had phone & text voting, that was one of its unique selling points. As for how few votes you can actually get in and count during an ad break, when you need to know the result in time to set up to show the ending of the winner... that's a story for another time.

This method works. I honestly cannot see why so many people react with such horror to negative marks. It's not like getting your script rejected out of hand by one person without any explanation, is it? It's getting a mixed range of comments, all of which should in some way help and inform the writer.

Hi Kev, I think we all accept that some pieces will get minus points if everything has been voted on as instructed, but for one voter to not include reviews and for the votes to be counted, and for one piece to not get awarded the minus or plus points from most of us because it was submitted past the deadline does skew the results and makes it feel pointless attempting to abide by the system.
Your work in putting this together is appreciated but it's not very encouraging to know that the final table isn't going to be an accurate reflection, especially for those in mid-table whose place might be lower than if the rules were consistently upheld.

Quote: AJGO @ October 7 2011, 12:13 PM BST

Hi Kev, I think we all accept that some pieces will get minus points if everything has been voted on as instructed, but for one voter to not include reviews and for the votes to be counted, and for one piece to not get awarded the minus or plus points from most of us because it was submitted past the deadline does skew the results and makes it feel pointless attempting to abide by the system.
Your work in putting this together is appreciated but it's not very encouraging to know that the final table isn't going to be an accurate reflection, especially for those in mid-table whose place might be lower than if the rules were consistently upheld.

As always, transparency will out. When I announce the result table I'll include those caveats, so everyone will be able to see what score they achieved, allowing for the margin of these errors. Where such things affect the five scripts that will be being performed in the show on October 21st is where I shall be most carefully adjudicating. (Currently if you remove Bart's votes, the top 5 remain the same, as also happens if you remove Marc P's). As for how these things affect the middle of the table, give yourself the benefit of the doubt and assume you were meant to do better than the table suggests. Like comedians do when they get a review at the Edinburgh Fringe: "In the sky tonight I saw three stars. But it read like a four" (Gary Delaney).

Kev F

Is this the same comp where, from all the entries submitted, the guy who won happened to be a guy who'd paid for your sitcom course?

If I'm wrong I'll delete this post and apologise.

That was a spin off competition Jack from Kev F's one. The young padawans if you like. :)

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think people on the internet aren't as honest and straight-forward about things as I'd like.

Quote: Kev F @ October 7 2011, 12:02 PM BST

I'm sorry, have I never shown you this before?

What's that lettering in the bottom left hand corner? Scotch mist? The Sitcom Trials TV series had phone & text voting, that was one of its unique selling points. As for how few votes you can actually get in and count during an ad break, when you need to know the result in time to set up to show the ending of the winner... that's a story for another time.

Thanks, I've just voted, hope I don't still get charged...

Our first Edinburgh flyer described the show as Comedy Showcase meets Big Brother, and our spin-off show The Sitcom Mission currently describes itself as The X Factor for sitcoms.

I've been asked politely to point out that The Sitcom Mission should not be referred to as a 'sister' competition or 'a spin-off' of The Sitcom Trials. The two are now completely separate organisations and competitions and would like that to be recognised.

Apologies for any confusion that may have arisen.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ October 7 2011, 1:49 PM BST

Is this the same comp where, from all the entries submitted, the guy who won happened to be a guy who'd paid for your sitcom course?

No, that's a different competition.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ October 7 2011, 1:49 PM BST

Ok, yeah, sorry, I was thinking about your other one. "The Sitcom Mission"
This still seems to me as though maybe it's a construct for getting free content to fill a show that charges entry, yet the entrants don't see any of that door-charge as it's all under the banner of 'competition' and you're using the entrants to vote on eachother? As oppose to an objective, static panel?

C'mon.

And if, per this thread... https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22246/10/
You and this odd-looking blonde dude (who's never posted since shilling his courses) are in cahoots, then... It seems slightly deceptive.

Quote: Declan @ October 1 2011, 10:56 PM BST

For anybody who's thinking about it, but hasn't done so yet, there's still spaces on our Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on Saturday 8 October in London: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Quote: Declan @ July 6 2011, 12:18 PM BST

We'd like to congratulate Vince Stadon for winning The Sitcom Trials Manchester 2011.

Vince attended our Help! I've Written a Script workshop earlier this year, and gave us this feedback:

"I now have a richer understanding of character, and character dynamics. The workshop taught me that sitcoms aren't really about funny lines being bandied about willy nilly, they're all about the relationships between the characters. And the richer and the more detailed and interesting the characters, the better the comedy. In all these areas I hope to improve, and it's thanks to the workshop that I now have this understanding."

As a special offer to you lucky people, we're offering two free tickets to the 5pm Sitcom Mission show this Monday 11 July for anyone who signs up for our script reading service. Details are here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/4/
Cheers, Declan and Simon

Really? Really???

If I can just clear a few things up.

Vince attended the Sitcom Mission 'Help! I've Written a Script' workshop, and went on to win The Sitcom Trials in Manchester with a completely different script.

Although Simon and I were once a small part of a small part of The Sitcom Trials, and co-produced it for a while, we now co-produce The Sitcom Mission.

They are two completely different organisations and competitions.

Good luck to everyone who has entered The Sitcom Trials.

Cheers, Declan

Ta da, just like magic you happened to re-appear, 3 months later, and you're claiming you AREN'T in contact with the other guy?

Quote: Jack Daniels @ October 7 2011, 2:32 PM BST

Ok, yeah, sorry, I was thinking about your other one. "The Sitcom Mission"
This still seems to me as though maybe it's a construct for getting free content to fill a show that charges entry, yet the entrants don't see any of that door-charge as it's all under the banner of 'competition' and you're using the entrants to vote on eachother? As oppose to an objective, static panel?

And if, per this thread... https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22246/10/
You and this odd-looking blonde dude (who's never posted since shilling his courses) are in cahoots, then... It seems slightly deceptive.

To reiterate, The Sitcom Mission and The Sitcom Trials are separate shows run by separate organisations. I (Kev F) created the Sitcom Trials and produced the show from 1999 to 2006, and Declan Hill & Simon Wright wrote for and appeared in that show (Simon is in the TV series, Declan was in the touring show). In 2007 Dec & Si asked if they could revive The Sitcom Trials as producers, and did so with my involvement in their 2007 shows, and with me being hands-off for their 08/09 shows. Their last series of The Sitcom Trials was in spring 2009.

Then in Autumn 2009 I resumed Exec Production of The Sitcom Trials with another producer, and Declan and Simon launched The Sitcom Mission, a different sitcom competition at a different venue. The comedy courses you refer to are part of The Sitcom Mission's programme.

I hope that's answered all questions. Now, about those votes..?