Citizen Smith Page 2

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ June 22, 2007, 8:00 AM

Didn't the titles have a bit where 'Wolfie' is driving a tank? I seem to remember wanting more of that kind of thing in the actual show. Back then I had no idea of 'budget'... :)

The whole idea though was he was so inept and there was no chance that he could raise enough decent support let anyone overthrow anything.

Hmmm... good point. So how did he get the tank?

Nicked it from a museum or something, I think?

I got hold of this gem the other year when the DVDs were on special offer at just £10 a set. :)

Robert Lindsay in his earlier years.

"Power To The People!"

:)

Just watched a series two episode called 'Speed's Return' In the first minute, we see Speed being released from prison. I'm pretty certain he is being released from Slade Prison, the prison used in Porridge. It looks identical. Afterall, John Sullivan worked as a scene shifter on Porridge and Peter Vaughn played Genial Harry Grout. If you have the episode, please have a look and confirm/unconfirm if it is Slade Prison.

Yes.

And where exactly is Slade Prison?

It's St Albans Prison gatehouse

Quote: Greg @ August 13 2008, 1:39 PM BST

It's St Albans Prison gatehouse

Is that still in operation?

Must be the one they put Charley in.

For me, and I'm probably in the minority, this is the best thing John Sullivan wrote. I have a few Only Fools And Horses videos, but I feel he hit his peak early. The characters on this show are obvious OFAH prototypes: Florence, Shirley's mum, is obviously the slow Trigger character, and for Rodney/Grandad/Uncle Albert read Tucker and Ken, the well meaning but ineffectual sidekicks. Only difference is they were Del's family in OFAH.

Edited by Aaron.

Re-Where did they nick the tank?

Paramilitary Marxist guerilla force, the Tooting Popular Front were on manoevres on Salisbury Plain. After an evening getting watered in a country pub, they retired to their tents. A British Army Scorpion tank on exercise came along, crushing Wolfies tent while he was having a piss. An officer, who was an exercise umpire, told the tank crew they had hit a mine and had to get out of the tank as they were "dead".

With the soldiers gone, Speed revealed that he was once a tank driver in the T.A. Encouraged by Wolfie, the TPF took the tank in their possession.

Great punchline, storming the Houses Of Parliament only to find the MPs are on summer recess :D

When I was looking at the top 50 British Sitcoms on this site.
This was the only glaring ommission I could think of.

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 3 2009, 1:16 AM GMT

. The characters on this show are obvious OFAH prototypes: Florence, Shirley's mum, is obviously the slow Trigger character, and for Rodney/Grandad/Uncle Albert read Tucker and Ken, the well meaning but ineffectual sidekicks. Only difference is they were Del's family in OFAH.

Yes, Sullivan must have had a very strong outline for OFAH before he finished writing Citizen Smith, I presume he was already drafting the first series while still on CS. And because his visions for his characters were so strong, this must be why they made such an impact in his next sitcom. It's a good lesson for all aspiring sitcom writers, including me - believe in your characters.

Quote: Chappers @ August 13 2008, 4:45 PM GMT

Is that still in operation?

Must be the one they put Charley in.

Twas not even then in operation, it was just a council yard with odd big buildings with all the floors demolished, now even the gate house is knocked down and a ghastly executive housing estate built on it...it was by the station.