Citizen Smith Page 3

I am a very big fan of Citizen Smith - I first saw the series briefly in 1992-93 on BBC 1 before seeing almost all the episodes (apart from Series 4) on UK Gold in 1993. I think Citizen Smith is much funnier than Only Fools and Horses and it is excellent how John Sullivan's writing in my opinion came to a peak so early on.

I was always very angry that UK Gold didn't show Series 4 in the 90s. I didn't see the last series until 2003 and I think Series 4 is the best - there is much more drama and the series has quite a different feel (a new-look pub, Ronnie Lynch instead of Harry Fenning (Ronnie was rumoured to have had Harry bumped off!), new titles and quite different plots with the TPF having been released from prison.

Shirley's mum Florence is a classic character and some of her lines are fantastic, like when she held the gun to Harry Fenning and his minders, saying "It's not loaded but I know how to use it"!

I think Citizen Smith is is need of a proper BBC DVD release - never mind all that Playback rubbish with Beatles music edited out, etc, etc. The Playback DVDs also have the pilot before the first episode rather than a special feature - the pilot is almost identical to Series 1 Episode 1 apart from having cheaper sets, one or two dialogue differences, a Welsh actor playing Shirley's dad and their name being Jones instead of Johnson.

Quote: Matt79 @ January 18 2011, 12:23 PM GMT

The Playback DVDs also have the pilot before the first episode rather than a special feature

The way it should be, IMO!

Quote: Aaron @ January 18 2011, 2:00 PM GMT

Shame Playback didn't include the Last Of The Summer Wine and Open All Hours pilots when the first two series of each were released.

I didn't know that Playback had released Open All Hours! The pilot is on both the BBC Video release and the Seven Of One DVD though.

Quote: Aaron @ January 18 2011, 2:37 PM GMT

I didn't know that Playback had released Open All Hours! The pilot is on both the BBC Video release and the Seven Of One DVD though.

Quote: Aaron @ January 18 2011, 2:00 PM GMT

With many series having the pilot as the first episode would make sense. The problem with Citizen Smith, though, is that the pilot is basically the same as Series 1 Episode 1 so that is why I think it work have been better as a special feature. Shirley's last name is different in the pilot and her dad is Welsh and the pilot is just like an early version of what became the first proper episode.

With other series this isn't often the case as pilots, such as those for Last of The Summer Wine, are the actual first episodes and haven't been re-shot like the Citizen Smith episode was.

I didn't like this after they replaced Peter Vaughan with that other bloke. It never felt right after that.

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2011, 10:16 AM GMT

I didn't like this after they replaced Peter Vaughan with that other bloke. It never felt right after that.

I think a lot of viewers preferred Peter Vaughan as Charlie Johnson instead of Tony Steedman playing him. Personally, although I did prefer Peter Vaughan as Charlie, I don't dislike Tony Steedman's portrayal of him - I still think he worked well with Hilda Braid's classic Florence character.

Some comedy replacement actors, though, are never very good compared to the originals.

Quote: Matt79 @ January 20 2011, 4:14 PM GMT

I think a lot of viewers preferred Peter Vaughan as Charlie Johnson instead of Tony Steedman playing him. Personally, although I did prefer Peter Vaughan as Charlie, I don't dislike Tony Steedman's portrayal of him - I still think he worked well with Hilda Braid's classic Florence character. Some comedy replacement actors, though, are never very good compared to the originals.

It's always odd when another actor comes in to play the same role. I prefer it when they go down the Granddad/Uncle Albert route and bring in a new but similar character.

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2011, 4:40 PM GMT

It's always odd when another actor comes in to play the same role. I prefer it when they go down the Granddad/Uncle Albert route and bring in a new but similar character.

I know what you mean - sometimes the new actor can be hard to get used to. The Grandad/Uncle Albert change was very good and this of course had to be done as the Grandad actor had died and they couldn't replace him. It is different of course when an actor leaves, although some replacements have never been good.

Morning. Can anyone tell me if the episode broadcast last night as part of the John Sullivan tribute ( :) ) was a one off or is it starting a repeat run (a long overdue repeat run, I'll add)?

I'm wondering because it seemed a bit odd to show the opening episode from CS when it clearly isn't the best, because it was a very introductory first episode. Didn't show CS at its best. So it got me thinking that it might be the start of a repeat run of series one. I clicked my info button and it said 1/8, surely it wouldn't have said this if it was just a one off, so I am really hoping the rest is following. But it wasn't expained at all.

Or were they wanting to show 'this is where it all began' for Sullivan's great career? A bit confusing. Anyone know, please?

It was a one-off.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Citizen Smith. You can see similarities between that and OFAH. They had three different dads if you include the pilot. But it was forgivable as the programme was good. It puzzled me why Shirley went - but the programme still worked fine without her. And Foxy was great!

Quote: Aaron @ May 15 2011, 12:04 PM BST

It was a one-off.

A scandal.

But not surprising really. They probably think the majority of viewers won't get the dated references or even the theme. I think they should look at it as an opportunity to introduce new viewers to a very 70s subculture and show people a rare niche, totally original sitcom situation. It could inspire!