Næturvaktin (The Night Shift)

Is anyone planning on watching this tonight? This is an Icelandic sitcom set in a petrol station which starts with a double-bill at 22.00 on BBC Four.

It is certainly popular back in its native homeland. This is the first in a trilogy of sitcoms, which was followed by a film which beat Avatar in the Icelandic box office, and the lead actor in the show later set up his own joke political party, and got himself elected mayor of Reykjavík.

Wikipedia article

I might give it a go.

Having watched both episodes night I was disappointed. There were not that many laughs and many of the set-ups were predictable.

I quite enjoyed them!
Some really slow bits, but quite a few laughs too.

The boss was a weird Icelandic mix of David Brent and Basil Fawlty.

I missed them. I'll definitely give them a look if they're on iPlayer though.

I caught one episode and wasn't that impressed ...until I discovered that when I shut my eyes it sounds exactly like Pingu! Now I might watch it again.

I like it a lot. I like the slowness and the lack of obvious gags. It does feel a little like a series of sketches spread out, but I don't see that as a negative. :)

Having watched six episodes now, I have to say I am now warming to it, especially the latest episode in which Ólafur's health drink starts to make him lactate which I thought has been the best episode so far.

I've known about this show for a few years after an Icelandic friend recommended it to me, but other than 3 or 4 minute long subtitle free clips on YouTube, I've never managed to actually watch it, so I was very excited to stumble across it on BBC Four! Something I never expected. I missed most of them, but managed to download it from iPlayer and loved it!

Only the first 6 episodes of an apparently 12 episode series have so far been broadcast though, and I can't find it anywhere on the guide. Does anyone know if the final six shows are going to be shown with subtitles?

Welcome Jayms to the BCG.

I believe that the other episodes are to go out as double bills on Monday nights on BBC Four.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I found it on the guide and have set it to record! I hope they show the second two series aswell!

Quote: Jayms Oldfield @ May 13 2011, 2:58 PM BST

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I found it on the guide and have set it to record! I hope they show the second two series aswell!

I think that might be pushing it, even for BBC Four. Still, I hope they do to as it would be an interesting experience.

What's yeah, you are probably right. I don't think many people will be able to appreciate it as it's apparently "very Icelandic humour". I found myself really enjoying it, though and I'm also interested in Iceland and the Icelandic language. I think I'm very much in the minority in that regard, though. Still, would be great if they showed the whole three series.

Also, if you enjoyed The Night Shift, you may also enjoy a film called 101 Reykjavík, which is an Icelandic comedy, but is also partly in English, so people who don't like reading subtitles too much won't get tired. They may have already shown it, actually. I know they showed Jar City earlier in the week, but that one isn't so good.

I absolutely loved 'The Night Shift'! So was this just shown as part of an Iceland season? Does that mean we're not going to get the next couple of series.

Come on BBC, this is a gem! We want more!

(Well I do anyway. Clearly not speaking for everyone on here...)

Actually having stuck with the series I'm enjoying it now. I don't know if they are broadcasting the other series yet as we are still going through the first.