Næturvaktin (The Night Shift) Page 2

I watched the first two, and quite enjoyed them. I don't like this showing two episodes at a time thing though, puts me off watching. An hour seems like too much of a slog to bother with, whereas if it was one a week I'd be more likely to tune in.

Why don't you just watch one episode on the TV and the second on the iPlayer?

Because that would take effort!

I thought last night's episodes were very funny, particularly Olafur's confession of what the medium had revealed of his previous life as a chess grandmaster who had taught chess to, and then taken advantage of, the maid who Georg was in a previous life.

The characters are very well acted and nuanced. Olafur's slightly confused looking round when something foxes him is brilliant.

I'm really enjoying it too. I've been downloading them from iPlayer and watching and re-watching them regularly. Sad that there's only two episodes to go now, but really looking forward to them.

The characters and acting are really brilliant, I feel. As much as I find Georg to be a pain in the ass and wish someone would punch him in the face, I do also feel a bit of sympathy for him. Especially when we see him riding into work on his little bike with the basket thing on the back. Laughing out loud can't help but feel sorry for him. I also wish something would go right for Olafur. What with getting his wages constantly docked for minimal crimes and getting scammed and things just generally not going his way.

Saw this for the first time tonight. How come the lead character has hair but shaves his head to look bald? And is it going to get a DVD release over here as I'd prefer to watch it in my own sweet time?

Quote: Chiipolata @ May 30 2011, 11:11 PM BST

Saw this for the first time tonight. How come the lead character has hair but shaves his head to look bald? And is it going to get a DVD release over here as I'd prefer to watch it in my own sweet time?

I suspect that the character is suppose to be bald, but the actor playing him is not bald, so he shaves his head in parts to make himself look bald. I'd be surprised if the character is meant to have hair but shaves his head to look bald because he prefers the partially balding look.

I know it has been released on DVD in Iceland and the Icelandic DVD does feature optional English subtitles. However, it's not easy to get a hold of, but not impossible and will be quite expensive.

Best bet is to download them from BBC iPlayer while there's still time. There's subtitles and it's free to download, then you can watch at your own leisure.

I think he looks like he is shaved completely bald in real life and sticks on the side bits for the character.

And the loser character is definitely wearing a black wig (surely).

I'll inform the hair police at once!

They're actors, playing characters in a TV show. It may not be their real life hair, but I don't think that's really important.

Sorry for breathing!

Quote: Jayms Oldfield @ May 31 2011, 7:44 PM BST

I'll inform the hair police at once! They're actors, playing characters in a TV show. It may not be their real life hair, but I don't think that's really important.

If it distracts the viewer, it's important.

Naeturvaktin? FANTASTIC! At last British TV has managed to look beyond its own navel and the inane mindlessness of US comedy for this masterpiece from Iceland - glorious!! Who thought such a Lenin/Trotsky lookilikie could be so funny! Love the slow almost Pinteresque tempo of each episode!

It would be great to have a couple more foreign language sitcoms. It's something we just never ever see.

Quote: zooo @ May 31 2011, 8:07 PM BST

It would be great to have a couple more foreign language sitcoms. It's something we just never ever see.

I could be wrong, but sitcom seems like a British and American tradition. This one is clearly influenced by likes of The Office.

There must have been foreign sitcoms before The Office came along!
Even if they were rubbish... ;)