Town heads..Meet the girlfriend. Page 5

Mmmmm food.

I could see he was baiting and if he returns and does the same, he'll be warned.

But I think we should let it go now and move on.

Well said.

Quote: Leevil @ June 2, 2007, 3:37 PM

(Chews on toothpick)

He won't be causing trouble around these parts again.

(Adjusts belt)

Things are gonna change around here.

(Nods in the direction of Avatar)

You will Respect my authority! 'Cos there's a new Sheriff in town.

Now kids, play nice!

Hey gang, we don't need global moderators do we? We don't want to censor people from saying what they think do we? Do we?

IMO he only went wrong by repeating the same thing repeatedly and repeating it only against the one person, and by doing so it *appeared* a bit like repeated instances of victimisation. (At the risk of repeating myself. Repeatedly). His critique in itself was fair comment - some might agree, some might not. We are all entitled to that, and interestingly enough, now I have come in form t'pub tonight I see a tendency in recent critique threads towards more constructive stuff. So, maybe "AA" has done us all a favour, eh?

That has nothing to do with why I was appointed mod.

There was nothing wrong with his critique and I'm not going be censoring stuff.

But this needs to be a nice friendly place and that discussion was becoming an argument. And the topic went off the critique of charleys sketch and become more about "How to critique" which can be discussed in the Writers Discussion or General Thread.

The last few pages did not offer any feedback or constructive criticism to Charelys sketch.

Quote: charley rance @ June 2, 2007, 3:07 PM

My little amateur attempts are aimed at people like myself.

Oh no - there aren't more are there?

Quote: losaavedra @ June 2, 2007, 5:48 PM

Charley's a bit rough around the edges sometimes

Maybe she needs some rubbing down.

Oh I say. Naughty stuff going on. Wahey!

Criticism is good. If it is done in the right way but Oiiiiiiiii!
Let us not talk about it anymore. I dont want Mr AA getting a fat head.

Quote: Leevil @ June 3, 2007, 1:30 AM

That has nothing to do with why I was appointed mod.
There was nothing wrong with his critique and I'm not going be censoring stuff.
But this needs to be a nice friendly place and that discussion was becoming an argument. And the topic went off the critique of charleys sketch and become more about "How to critique" which can be discussed in the Writers Discussion or General Thread.
The last few pages did not offer any feedback or constructive criticism to Charelys sketch.

So discussing your appointment as Gobal Mod is on-topic for this thread, then.
And pictures of pussy cats?

Why is it that "off-topic" is only wheeled out when someone does not like the turn a thread takes? Recent events do not augur well for the health of these boards.

Now how can I answer that without going off topic?

It's Aaron's forums, if he wants to post pictures of pussy cats I think he has the right.

If you want to go off topic, then do it. Just don't bitch when your sketch gets ignored in favour of a more interesting topic.

This is a pretty relaxed forum and by all means, digress off topic, but Charely was uncomfortable with the way her thread went.

I don't understand why you are all arguing? I'm trying to steer the topic back to Charely's Sketch.

Charley great sketch :)

Quote: Leevil @ June 3, 2007, 11:48 AM

Charley great sketch :)

That's all it takes to get a thread back on topic after it's gone off on a tangent. Forget the heavyhandedness.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 3, 2007, 1:58 AM

Oh no - there aren't more are there?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Yet again apols to the two people in the centre of this, for missing it. Reading through what's left of the threads it seemed that it broke down from a critique into a defence of whether Charley can or can't write.

To be honest, there was no real need for bodies to pile in like a premiership goalmouth in injury time. Charley gives as good as she gets, she doesn't need people to get bloody noses for her, although it is a nice feeling to know that people respect and care for you. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Some of us are good at dialogue, others at plot or character.

Asking people to prove their credentials isn't going to make their opinion more or less valuable than anyone elses. That's why some critics may love Fawlty Towers or BlackAdder and others hate it. A critic's opinion is still only an opinion whether they happen to be Jonathon Ross on Film 07 or my nextdoor neighbour. The value of the opinion only comes in whether we can 'see' why they say what they say. If you can, then treat it as an opportunity to develop. If you can't see their reasoning, then discount the opinion.

If we don't want the forum to develop into a place where all work is roundly praised or (as on some sites) a place where work is hideously torn to pieces then the best way to deal with another episode is not to stifle or shout down one or the other side but to stick to the script. That way personality (hopefully) shouldn't get drawn into it. If we ask "Can you show me what you mean?" or "What doesn't work for you?" then it's much harder for things to get out-of-bounds because it's words on a page and not people under scrutiny.

Personally I've had much worse crits. Some I've taken onboard, some we deal with in the Slaggs' own manner. One comment was "Stupid British F@&*ks with lame-assed accents". OUCH! Our approach was to use it as the tag line for our first stage show and now it's my favourite ever comment.

Quote: SlagA @ June 3, 2007, 8:52 PM

Personally I've had much worse crits. Some I've taken onboard, some we deal with in the Slaggs' own manner. One comment was "Stupid British F@&*ks with lame-assed accents". OUCH! Our approach was to use it as the tag line for our first stage show and now it's my favourite ever comment.

I'd take that as a compliment. Yanks as we all know don't have a sense of humour.

PS - points taken. Became a lively night though.