Hairdressers - Episode One Page 6

Quote: James Cotter @ January 12 2011, 5:14 PM GMT

Like I said earlier the paedophile thing was a mistake on my part.

*takes out of context*

:D

Quote: Nat Wicks @ January 12 2011, 3:02 PM GMT

I haven't listened to it because I'm away from home, but how does the series start?

Seems like the best way to intruduce the idea would be a conversation from them as 'hetro' complaining that their business is failing, then a new hairdressers opens the next town over and is exuberently camp and booked out weeks in advance. So they come up with a scheme to play the part of two gay men. If you start it from the point of desperation, it will be easier for listeners to accept, and will also allow for you to make some more misguided remarks because you would be focusing on their attempt (and sometimes failure) to camp it up. means you could always have an end of series episode where they have to 'come out' as straight when they are rumbled. It would also be a way of explaining the older apprentice- he's just some bloke from the social club who rumbled them and forced them to give him a job or he'd 'out' them.

Ooh also this would allow you to use more crass material because you could have one character trying to be overtly sexual due to their perceptions, with the other constantly trying to remind him that that's not how gay people act. Means you can have a moral vein running through it counteracting the crassness and possible homophobia.

:) A very good idea.

Quote: James Cotter @ January 12 2011, 4:05 PM GMT

You tell me a performer who can take negative criticism? :)

All the best ones. Hence, they're the best.

Quote: Ben @ January 12 2011, 5:33 PM GMT

All the best ones. Hence, they're the best.

You know what I meant. Constructive criticism which I have been give at times today then yes.

My word all this criticism, vanity and abuse has woken a Griffaloe from it's slumbers.

Quote: Griff @ January 12 2011, 5:38 PM GMT

Exactly. There's nothing most actors respond to better than someone giving them notes, especially a non-actor. They absolutely love it. It's the key to making any rehearsals go that little bit more successfully.

As I've said so many times today notes I love. And have repeated my plea for notes on my performance. All the feedback apart from I think two comments have been on the script.

There's something quite affable about Cotter, some sense of deep potential hidden beneath the inexperience.

That makes him so much more engaging than the Walter Mitties, trolls etal on here.

Sort of like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

Quote: sootyj @ January 12 2011, 6:10 PM GMT

There's something quite affable about Cotter, some sense of deep potential hidden beneath the inexperience.

That makes him so much more engaging than the Walter Mitties, trolls etal on here.

Sort of like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

Eh? How should I take this?

Quote: James Cotter @ January 12 2011, 6:12 PM GMT

Eh? How should I take this?

For $3000 how ever I choose for a week.

Quote: Griff @ January 12 2011, 6:12 PM GMT

My comment wasn't aimed at you James. Just that in general I have found it is best to tread lightly around the egos of performers. I am not saying they are egotistical monsters* - nearly all of them are extremely charming with far better social skills than the average person - but if I have learned one thing from working with actors it is always best that you relay any suggestions through the director. (And if you have an idiot director, walk away.)

*mind you, some of them are egotistical monsters. I spent a day auditioning a play once and by gosh you see some sights.

I'm sure I attended that audition in various guises if I remember rightly.

Hi Guys,

Been reading the replies and yes I think you are right in what you say, I really do appreciate the feedback.

You have kindly taken your time to offer your advice, and I am sure we will learn in the future.

Thank you once again.

Warmest regards

Sam

Quote: Griff @ January 12 2011, 6:12 PM GMT

but if I have learned one thing from working with actors it is always best that you relay any suggestions through the director.

Yeah, I used to do that.

If my suggestion turned out to be poor, I would then deny any knowledge of the incident. Pleased

It's not my cup of tea I'm afraid. There were a few humourous lines in there but nothing really made me laugh out loud.

Quote: Jebsly @ January 12 2011, 8:41 PM GMT

It's not my cup of tea I'm afraid. There were a few humourous lines in there but nothing really made me laugh out loud.

:) Well thanks for giving it a go and I'm glad it made you laugh even if it was only a few times.

James,

Some people are glass half empty, some people are glass half full.

I think it's fair to say you are

"OMG it's a glass excellent, and it's got stuff in it as well, this is the best day EVER."

And may that attitude serve you well.

Danny