Sykes Page 5

Quote: Chappers @ 6th December 2022, 9:07 PM

Watching Sykes Christmas Party on BBC4. Very good and not dated. Brilliant performances from everyone. Really funny when Eric sat on some food and Hattie wiped it off his bottom. Genuine laughter from everyone. Sheila Steafel was great. Real very funny family humour.

Watched that tonight, although had seen it before from my box set, but bloody brilliant how a simple small gathering of people at Christmas can produce such a funny half hour, AND Sheila was absolutely brilliant - I was in hysterics when she started playing that piano. ???

Wonderful.

The kind of sitcom the BBC should be making today.

Amen to that, but where are the Sykes and Milligans of today, to take their place - thank heavens for DVDs!

Caught one of the eps shown on BBC4 last night and agree it's a delightful light hearted sitcom with rather stretched little episode stories the like of which is sorely missing from today's schedule. I think the modern viewer and maybe producer would regard it as too artificial for today's taste, but I just think that's part of the reason sitcoms have become so dour and dull, they're too tied to realism, and they could all do with the old style light entertainment/putting on a performance type input to sauce them up a bit. Good old fashioned fun, Sykes.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th May 2021, 10:54 AM

It hasn't enjoyed the luxury of repeats, so hasn't entered the long-term consciousness of viewers.

Why it hasn't had those endless repeats is another question, and one I don't have an answer to!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th May 2023, 8:58 AM

I think the modern viewer and maybe producer would regard it as too artificial for today's taste

That would be my guess, though just a guess.

As the Beeb in particular appear to be chained to this modern 'dramedy' style and choosing those with only current themes and subjects to air.