Sykes Page 4

The Snobbish neighbour was great Mr Brown played by Richard Watts, it's a shame he died in real life after series 3, as he was a great character, we needed a character like him in the show. He was great

I think I've mentioned this before somewhere (this thread?), but I can HIGHLY recommend this DVD, which is ONLY £5.75 on Amazon :-

The Eric Sykes Collection [DVD] [2010]

Amazon reviews :-

A fantastic compilation from one of Britain s best loved comedians! Join Eric Sykes for a collection of his most hilarious shows with guest stars including Tommy Cooper, Richard Briers, Sylvia Simms, Jimmy Edwards, Rula Lenska, Joanna Lumley, Roy Kinnear, Henry Cooper, Lionel Blair, Spike Milligan and many more...

If You Go Down In The Woods Today Eric Sykes plays a scoutmaster who takes eight scouts camping in peaceful Tangle Woods. When he and one of the cubs become lost, their hilarious adventures are monitored by the Police, Army, Navy, Air Force, MI5 and a bunch of crooks, almost turning Tangle Woods into Armageddon.
this one is hysterical

Rhubarb, Rhubarb In this silent comic masterpiece, Eric Sykes stars as a golf-playing police inspector who meets his match in the local vicar. In a no holes barred game of golf, the outcome is dependent on divine intervention.

The Plank Among an extraordinary cast of famous faces, Eric Sykes and Arthur Lowe play two builders who find they re missing a floorboard. As they go across town and back with a new one, they cause mayhem. The Plank has no dialogue but relies on sound effects and visual gags for its comic impact. A Montreux Award-winner.

Mr H Is Late Following the brilliant comic tradition of his other Montreux Comedy prize-winners, Eric Sykes silent film makes gestures speak louder than words. When a coffin on the 26th floor has to be delivered to the church, there s total chaos and riotous comedy with over a dozen famous faces caught up in the confusion.

It s Your Move Eric Sykes silent piece stars an impressive array of British comic talent, in a story of a young couple moving house, and the hilarious mayhem which ensues when the removal men take over. Another Montreux Award-winner.

Thanks.I wonder if his being deaf made him do so many silent films?

Maybe, or as a homage to those days?

Quote: john tregorran @ 26th June 2020, 2:39 AM

Pardon?

Quote: john tregorran @ 26th June 2020, 2:39 AM

That's a fair assumption. It would have given him a different perspective, always helpful in comedy.

Forces TV Tues. 10.40 am. I think they are repeating it from the first episode.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st October 2020, 3:11 PM

Forces TV Tues. 10.40 am. I think they are repeating it from the first episode.

Thanks for that. I have put it on series record.

You're welcome :)

I might do the same, but have everything he ever did on DVD, which I watched a year ago, and am now trying to catch up on all the other comedy box-sets my family have bought me over the years.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd November 2020, 3:02 PM

I have everything he ever did on DVD

Apart from the original Sykes And A... run of course, which no one has yet seen fit to release. Teary

Just watched the episode with Peter Sellers. It is remarkable the amount of talent onscreen. Hattie steals so many scenes while you can see Eric and Peter stifling laughter.

I wonder why Sykes isn't regarded in the same way a lot of sitcoms from the era? It rarely pops up in Best Sitcom polls when it absolutely deserves to.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th May 2021, 11:10 PM

I wonder why Sykes isn't regarded in the same way a lot of sitcoms from the era? It rarely pops up in Best Sitcom polls when it absolutely deserves to.

It hasn't enjoyed the luxury of repeats, so hasn't entered the long-term consciousness of viewers.

Why it hasn't had those endless repeats is another question, and one I don't have an answer to!

Someone has mentioned Forces TV above, but I noticed they are showing Sykes at the moment. (August 2021)

Not sure what platforms Forces TV is available on, I have it on my Sky Q box and I only discovered it while browsing down the channels.

One Sykes episode that was on the other day was where Eric and Hattie go to visit the BBC Head of comedy to pick up an award for being on the BBC for 20 years. I think it is the episode called "The BBC Honours Sykes"

Eric and Hattie have to wait outside his office while someone else is in there. Henry McGee plays the BBC staffer who brings the award. The office door opens and much to everyone's surprise Les Dawson comes out. The audience were not expecting that and he gets a round of applause before doing anything.

He then starts a comedy routine about why his career is going so bad. Eric and Hattie cant get a word in edgeways and at times Eric seems to be stifling a laugh. You can see the lady secretary in the background IS laughing at the routine Les is doing. As he leave Eric tells Hattie it was Des Lawson.

One thing Les said which made me laugh out loud was "My agent rang me the other day, which was a surprise, I thought he had gone down with the Titanic."

Eventually Eric and Hattie get in the Head of Comedy's office but he is shown as a bumbling old fool (I wonder how the BBC felt about that !) who mistakes Eric Sykes for Eric Morecambe.

He keeps suggesting new ideas for sketches for Eric that he has already done, even new ideas for TV shows (The Generating Game - sic) that are already on TV. Seems he used to be the "sounds" man for ITMA on radio during the war and does some of the noises and voices. He also takes great credit for being the first man who did ballet on the radio !

He is played by Hugh Burden and while coming across as an old fool does in fact have a huge amount to say in the episode, far more than anyone else in the show,

Felix Bowness from Hi de Hi was also in it.

Very good episode and great script from Eric.

But why has Sykes never (or rarely) been repeated on TV, on channels like Gold or Dave.

Forces TV are also showing Chance in a Million with Simon Callow and Brenda Blethyn (who seems to take off most of her clothes in a number of episodes). Again rarely been repeated elsewhere.

Quote: Guilbert @ 16th August 2021, 5:58 PM

Someone has mentioned Forces TV above, but I noticed they are showing Sykes at the moment. (August 2021)

Not sure what platforms Forces TV is available on, I have it on my Sky Q box and I only discovered it while browsing down the channels.

It's in my basic VM package, but I have every DVD available of Eric's work - very funny and clever man, and even helped out Spike with some of The Goons scripts.

Watching Sykes Christmas Party on BBC4. Very good and not dated. Brilliant performances from everyone. Really funny when Eric sat on some food and Hattie wiped it off his bottom. Genuine laughter from everyone. Sheila Steafel was great. Real very funny family humour.