Sykes Page 4

Sykes. Eric Sykes (Eric Sykes). Copyright: BBC.

Sykes

Sitcom about identical twins Eric and Hattie Sykes, who live together in suburban London

Wheel

• Thursday 25th June 2020, 11:25am
  • Wakefield, England
  • 447 posts

The Snobbish neighbour was great Mr Brown played by Richard Watts, it's a shame he died in real life after series 3, as he was a great character, we needed a character like him in the show. He was great

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Thursday 25th June 2020, 11:40pm
  • England
  • 19,029 posts

I think I've mentioned this before somewhere (this thread?), but I can HIGHLY recommend this DVD, which is ONLY £5.75 on Amazon :-

The Eric Sykes Collection [DVD] [2010]

Amazon reviews :-

A fantastic compilation from one of Britain s best loved comedians! Join Eric Sykes for a collection of his most hilarious shows with guest stars including Tommy Cooper, Richard Briers, Sylvia Simms, Jimmy Edwards, Rula Lenska, Joanna Lumley, Roy Kinnear, Henry Cooper, Lionel Blair, Spike Milligan and many more...

If You Go Down In The Woods Today Eric Sykes plays a scoutmaster who takes eight scouts camping in peaceful Tangle Woods. When he and one of the cubs become lost, their hilarious adventures are monitored by the Police, Army, Navy, Air Force, MI5 and a bunch of crooks, almost turning Tangle Woods into Armageddon.
this one is hysterical

Rhubarb, Rhubarb In this silent comic masterpiece, Eric Sykes stars as a golf-playing police inspector who meets his match in the local vicar. In a no holes barred game of golf, the outcome is dependent on divine intervention.

The Plank Among an extraordinary cast of famous faces, Eric Sykes and Arthur Lowe play two builders who find they re missing a floorboard. As they go across town and back with a new one, they cause mayhem. The Plank has no dialogue but relies on sound effects and visual gags for its comic impact. A Montreux Award-winner.

Mr H Is Late Following the brilliant comic tradition of his other Montreux Comedy prize-winners, Eric Sykes silent film makes gestures speak louder than words. When a coffin on the 26th floor has to be delivered to the church, there s total chaos and riotous comedy with over a dozen famous faces caught up in the confusion.

It s Your Move Eric Sykes silent piece stars an impressive array of British comic talent, in a story of a young couple moving house, and the hilarious mayhem which ensues when the removal men take over. Another Montreux Award-winner.

john tregorran

• Friday 26th June 2020, 2:39am
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 1,976 posts

Thanks.I wonder if his being deaf made him do so many silent films?

Will Cam

• Friday 26th June 2020, 10:06am
  • England
  • 8,078 posts
Quote: john tregorran @ 26th June 2020, 2:39 AM

Pardon?

Firkin

• Friday 26th June 2020, 10:18am
  • United Kingdom
  • 1,152 posts
Quote: john tregorran @ 26th June 2020, 2:39 AM

That's a fair assumption. It would have given him a different perspective, always helpful in comedy.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Saturday 31st October 2020, 3:11pm
  • England
  • 19,029 posts

Forces TV Tues. 10.40 am. I think they are repeating it from the first episode.

Billy Bunter

• Tuesday 3rd November 2020, 12:29pm
  • The Sussex Coast, England
  • 1,617 posts
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st October 2020, 3:11 PM

Forces TV Tues. 10.40 am. I think they are repeating it from the first episode.

Thanks for that. I have put it on series record.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Tuesday 3rd November 2020, 3:02pm
  • England
  • 19,029 posts

You're welcome :)

I might do the same, but have everything he ever did on DVD, which I watched a year ago, and am now trying to catch up on all the other comedy box-sets my family have bought me over the years.

Aaron

• Tuesday 3rd November 2020, 10:15pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,843 posts
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd November 2020, 3:02 PM

I have everything he ever did on DVD

Apart from the original Sykes And A... run of course, which no one has yet seen fit to release. Teary

Sitcomfan64

• Saturday 15th May 2021, 11:10pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 856 posts

Just watched the episode with Peter Sellers. It is remarkable the amount of talent onscreen. Hattie steals so many scenes while you can see Eric and Peter stifling laughter.

I wonder why Sykes isn't regarded in the same way a lot of sitcoms from the era? It rarely pops up in Best Sitcom polls when it absolutely deserves to.

Aaron

• Sunday 16th May 2021, 11:54am
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,843 posts
Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th May 2021, 11:10 PM

I wonder why Sykes isn't regarded in the same way a lot of sitcoms from the era? It rarely pops up in Best Sitcom polls when it absolutely deserves to.

It hasn't enjoyed the luxury of repeats, so hasn't entered the long-term consciousness of viewers.

Why it hasn't had those endless repeats is another question, and one I don't have an answer to!