It's Paul Burling

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/its_paul_burling/

Lawdy Miss Clawdy! This is going to be risible. :)

Not bad for Mr Burling though, is it? A prime-time slot on ITV1 (the Pavlovian dog treat dispenser for the mentally bereft) for a "comedy" impressionist, untested beyond the calm waters of the Britain's Got Talent show-ring. They've even let Mr Burling write all the sketches by himself (apparently). God bless the ITV Crowd - both clued-up on comedy and natural risk takers!

I'm expecting the show to be pretty good but time, as ever, will tell.

In fairness to ITV, Paul Burling does have many years' experience as a professional mirth-maker. Contrast that with the non-existent experience of the schoolboy befriended by Paul Mayhew-Archer and immediately whisked past all the usual barriers and quality-controls to be given his own BBC sitcom.

I think ITV's risk, unlike the BBC's, might be about to pay off.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 22 2010, 5:44 PM GMT

In fairness to ITV, Paul Burling does have many years' experience as a professional mirth-maker. Contrast that with the non-existent experience of the schoolboy befriended by Paul Mayhew-Archer and immediately whisked past all the usual barriers and quality-controls to be given his own BBC sitcom.

I think ITV's risk, unlike the BBC's, might be about to pay off.

Sorry, but I know Tim Dawson and that is not what happened. I don't know exactly where that rumour came from but it just isn't true.

As for paying off - well, 2 successful series under its belt with another on the way, massively popular with its target audience, and something that everyone involved loves making. You might not be a fan of Coming Of Age, but that's as good a description of success as I can think of.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 22 2010, 5:21 PM GMT

Lawdy Miss Clawdy! This is going to be risible. :)

Charlie Hanson is a good producer, so let's give this a chance! From the production stills it looks like they've spent next to nothing on sets for the sketches though... so, yeah, we'll have to see!

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 22 2010, 5:21 PM GMT

They've even let Mr Burling write all the sketches by himself (apparently).

If you're getting that from our guide, that might not be correct... ITV haven't supplied a cast list or preview DVD so I haven't been able to get the full credits yet.

So far, so mostly dreadful...

You do surprise me...

Quote: Mark @ December 22 2010, 7:27 PM GMT

Charlie Hanson is a good producer, so let's give this a chance! From the production stills it looks like they've spent next to nothing on sets for the sketches though... so, yeah, we'll have to see!

If you're getting that from our guide, that might not be correct... ITV haven't supplied a cast list or preview DVD so I haven't been able to get the full credits yet.

The BCG show guides are not always 100% comprehensive and definitive?! It's like finding out that Santa Claus doesn't exist! :O :( (You may want to finish completing the guide to 'The King Is Dead' before worrying about newer shows... Then again, you may not. ;))

Poor. Although the Stacey Solomon was pretty good.

All things are relative but, compared with many TV comedy shows involving established talent, Paul Burling's show is very GOOD.

When you look at old footage of established stars on their early appearances, many of them are DOG rough. In comparison, Paul Burling looks very much more polished and has huge potential for family entertainment on TV.

He deserves a series.

It wasn't all bad.

Quote: Buddy Sorrel @ December 22 2010, 8:35 PM GMT

the Stacey Solomon was pretty good.

You won't get much better than that on ITV, pre-watershed.

Dead Ringers meets Russ Abbot. Enjoyed.

Dire. As I knew it would be.

I only caught the last 25 minutes.
It was harmless enough fun.
Nice to see Jess from NewsJack on there.
Don't know who the other chap was.
Poor Sir Alex & Robbie quite good Russell Brand & Paul O'Grady.
It was bit Rooney heavy though.

Quote: Aaron @ December 22 2010, 7:02 PM GMT

Sorry, but I know Tim Dawson and that is not what happened. I don't know exactly where that rumour came from but it just isn't true.

Isn't he the son of a neighbour in the village PMA lives in? Not to say there is anything wrong with that but that is what I understood. He sent him some stuff to look at?