Work Experience Page 2

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 10:12 AM GMT

Don't you go all Kavanagh QC on me!

Well I have played a barrister recently so it must have rubbed off. I was even wearing my robes when I typed the message :)

Quote: David Bussell @ December 21 2010, 9:53 AM GMT

this reads like something made for the film makers, not the audience.

Yep.

I did like that he was sat on the HP printer box and it seems like it was well shot. You should get someone unconnected to the project to cut your trailer because this 'trailer' failed it's mission.

Quote: ShoePie @ December 21 2010, 10:16 AM GMT

Yep.

I did like that he was sat on the HP printer box and it seems like it was well shot. You should get someone unconnected to the project to cut your trailer because this 'trailer' failed it's mission.

:) Thanks for the complements. But has the teaser trailer failed to tease you into watching the film?

Quote: James Cotter @ December 21 2010, 10:19 AM GMT

:) Thanks for the complements. But has the teaser trailer failed to tease you into watching the film?

Your YouTube hit count will be the judge of that.

Look, I know you think you're being terribly clever making a trailer that says nothing about your product but believe me, no one is going to watch your film on the strength of that promo. People on this forum will tune in for the reason they always do - out of a grim sense fascination - but this trailer will have nothing to do with it.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 21 2010, 10:27 AM GMT

Look, I know you think you're being terribly clever making a trailer that says nothing about your product.

Says nothing. You didn't get one thing from the teaser trailer seriously?

Quote: James Cotter @ December 21 2010, 10:32 AM GMT

If I am to be honest James, I do kind of agree a little with David here. If we didn't know it was you I doubt I'd watch it on the basis of that. What I got from it, and correct me if I am wrong, is that it is a student film being shot on location at one of the Media courses at Bournemouth university and apart from you and the other chap it is being acted by students on the course. There is nothing wrong with that, and if people tell me that it is a student film I am all the more likely to watch it if I am honest. It's just the language of Premieres and Teaser Trailers etc, which set it up to be something it clearly isn't and it suffers for it. It's not unusual I know in this area, but sometimes honesty is the best policy in marketing.

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 10:37 AM GMT

It's just the language of Premieres and Teaser Trailers etc, which set it up to be something it clearly isn't and it suffers for it.

I don't know why I should get criticized for using the right technical words. I could say it's coming out on... if you liked.

Quote: James Cotter @ December 21 2010, 10:32 AM GMT

It's in an office. It looks as though it might employ POV photography. There are people in it I've never heard of. Anything else is guesswork. Is it a comedy? I wouldn't think so - certainly nothing funny happens in the trailer. Is it a drama? Doubtful - certainly nothing dramatic happens in the trailer. When you make a teaser like this where nothing happens and you play music over your dialogue you end up achieving the opposite of what you set out to do - you say to the world "we're a bit embarrased by this but listen to the pretty music and imagine something good happening underneath, okay?"

If you don't want to listen to me because you think I have some sort of agenda that's fine, but listen to Marc at least. The man knows his eggs.

It's not coming out either though is it? There will be a screening of it. These are quite different things. And it's not you I am criticising, you didn't make it did you? I was just answering your queries as to how successful as a trailer it is and if not why not. And for me that is part of it.

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 10:53 AM GMT

It's not coming out either though is it? There will be a screening of it. These are quite different things. And it's not you I am criticising, you didn't make it did you? I was just answering your queries as to how successful as a trailer it is and if not why not. And for me that is part of it.

No I didn't I'm just in it. As a teaser it does enough in my opinion.

Also James, to be fair to you. This kind of marketing approach could very well be how you have been taught how to do it. Look at the way they pitch their products in the apprentice. They do it as if they are real products about to be released in a real marketplace. But everyone is complicit in the conceit of that within the show - so they kinda get away with it, although sometimes it does look a bit funny.

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 10:56 AM GMT

Also James, to be fair to you. This kind of marketing approach could very well be how you have been taught how to do it. Look at the way they pitch their products in the apprentice. They do it as if they are real products about to be released in a real marketplace. But everyone is complicit in the conceit of that within the show - so they kinda get away with it, although sometimes it does look a bit funny.

Laughing out loud You've got a really good point there Marc that I completely agree with. It's the way I market projects and it's not a way that everyone will like but for me it's a very natural way of doing it.

James, please take on board what other people have said. People are trying to help.

Quote: James Cotter @ December 21 2010, 10:19 AM GMT

To be clear, it failed on every level possible, and even on a few levels that haven't been discovered yet. Which is a shame as it looks like a lot of work has gone in to it.

Seriously, get someone impartial to cut a new trailer, someone who doesn't care about bigging up the actors, but just on telling the story.

There are only so many times you can stand on the window ledge

Before people stop yelling "Don't"

And start yelling

"Jump"