Work Experience Page 3

I don't visit the forum often but when I do there's a Cotter post which compels me to comment. God help me.

not sure why it's letter boxed and appears stretched, maybe the college has some dated equipment. Also, just a technicality but it's not in HD, so why put it there?

If this is a teaser, it fails as it doesn't draw me in or make me want to watch any more. Looks like a montage of your favourite clips (I'm surprised your co-star made the cut!). (did you edit the trailer?) Where's a taste of the VO so we can connect with the characters/dialogue? OK, I get It's a student production and a mashing of the peep show and office (done to death). Tracking dolly shots good.

I'll echo what other people have said. Why not just be honest and say 'here's a film I acted in for a student film production in Bournemouth' instead of plumping it out of proportion and making it sound much more than it is. How about Short comedy (?), student film. One suggestion: You might want to wait to put 'starring' in until you're, well....a star. ;)

Quote: Win Wilders @ December 21 2010, 11:40 AM GMT

You might want to wait to put 'starring' in until you're, well....a star. ;)

The definition of starring: An artistic performer whose leading role is acknowledged. Nothing to do with me thinking I'm a star.

Quote: James Cotter @ December 21 2010, 12:17 PM GMT

The definition of starring: An artistic performer whose leading role is acknowledged. Nothing to do with me thinking I'm a star.

I find "featuring" a less offensive term when the person in question isn't an established actor. In any case, credits shouldn't be the focus of the teaser unless your film "stars" performers of the stature of Angelina Jolie or George Clooney.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 21 2010, 12:24 PM GMT

I find "featuring" a less offensive term when the person in question isn't an established actor. In any case, credits shouldn't be the focus of the teaser unless your film "stars" performers of the stature of Angelina Jolie or George Clooney.

No no fair point and well made. Featuring is a better term in this case.

Quote: James Cotter @ December 21 2010, 12:25 PM GMT

No no fair point and well made. Featuring is a better term in this case.

Sort of. But my point was to leave credits out altogether. Although I understand it wasn't you who cut this thing, so you're not really the one to blame.

To be honest there is something inherently not quite right about a trailer for a short film at all. So people are bringing baggage to the piece before even viewing it. I think it needs an ironical, humourous take maybe to make it work. And that would mean going the opposite way to what David suggests perhaps and big everything up about it - but intentionally.

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 12:33 PM GMT

To be honest there is something inherently not quite right about a trailer for a short film at all. So people are bringing baggage to the piece before even viewing it. I think it needs an ironical, humourous take maybe to make it work. And that would mean going the opposite way to what David suggests perhaps and big everything up about it - but intentionally.

That's very true, I'd stopped thinking about it in terms of being a bad trailer for a short film and just concentrated on it being a bad trailer. Perhaps Marc's right and you should consider persuading your editor to cut something bombastic together that sells this student short like a Hollywood blockbuster (yet still lets the audience know at least the genre of piece).

I do agree a trailer is weird for a short film, although for the medium (You Tube) can be effective for gathering interest, or for marketing purposes on your own website (to point people to the full length film elsewhere), for festivals etc. However, this trailer does not do the eventual film 'release' any favours.

David and Marc have offered a flash of genius - over-the-top Hollywood style trailer would fit the comedy bill perfectly. The you could get away with STARRING JAMES COTTER in grand self-depricating style.

Quote: Win Wilders @ December 21 2010, 12:56 PM GMT

I do agree a trailer is weird for a short film

Is it? A full trailer would be as it would give too much away even if it was only 30 seconds as the short film is only four minutes itself. A teaser trailer stating who's in it, who's directing it, giving a indication of the style of filming and the location is more acceptable surely?

Quote: James Cotter @ December 21 2010, 12:59 PM GMT

A teaser trailer stating who's in it, who's directing it, giving a indication of the style of filming and the location is more acceptable surely?

But why would any rational person care to watch such a thing? The only reason for this to exist is to sell a person on watching your film. This doesn't do that - we don't know what it is, what it's about or who the people are in it. People don't tune in to a short to watch the "style of film" or "location", they go to laugh or be moved in some way.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume what's being advertised is a comedy. Given that, my instinct would be to make the trailer funny. Failing that, make it intriguing. Just give me something beyond the inside of an office, a jaunty tune and a bunch of credits for actors I've never heard of. I'd recommend your editor find a trailer for a show or film in a similar vein to this one and look at how it was sold. Or better yet, go with Marc's idea and cut this baby like a Bruckheimer!

Quote: David Bussell @ December 21 2010, 1:25 PM GMT

Or better yet, go with Marc's idea and cut this baby like a Bruckheimer!

What about something like this James?

http://vimeo.com/18047618

I'll take it down if you want. :)

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 1:31 PM GMT

Laughing out loud Way better. Trailer Trailer.

bahahahaha now that's a trailer!

Widow Twanky has a real eye for detail. :D

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 1:31 PM GMT

Perfect! (provided the short is aupposed to be a comedy)

I've always longed to see a trailer that's longer than the short it's promoting. Could this be that trailer?

Pierson is God!