Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 23

I think he's seen that being shocking is what people seem to love about him, so he's just giving them what he thinks they want.

Maybe if he thought anyone would be interested, he'd offer/develop some other sides of his comedy.

I think censorship is more of an issue than a few dodgy jokes. People might not like Frankie's style, but we the risk of having any comedy output being censored. I'd prefer to shrug off a couple of jokes I don't like than be subjected to bland content because I 'might' be offended.

I respect the opinions of those who don't find it funny, but you have a remote in your hand, move on.

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2010, 12:06 AM GMT

I think he's seen that being shocking is what people seem to love about him, so he's just giving them what he thinks they want.

Maybe if he thought anyone would be interested, he'd offer/develop some other sides of his comedy.

This is a really good observation Zooo, what does he himself want from this approach?

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 17 2010, 12:08 AM GMT

I think censorship is more of an issue than a few dodgy jokes.

When it comes to issues of taste I do not see much evidence that censorship is a pressing issue.

LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE.

The poor wee bairn.

A fundamental question (about anyone really) is what kind of a person generally doesn't care about offending people, or care what people think of them as a person? Most people, no matter how uncompromising they may be in their values, their work and their life, actually do care about how others in society see them. This is a good thing, not a sell-out. Perhaps it says something about the nature of our society that someone who claims not to care what others think or feel is lauded by so many.

In my experience, it's only the genuine wankers who don't give a flying f**k about how people think of them.

I've always liked Will Self's definition of satire that it should "afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted." I'm not convinced Frankie Boyle always does this.

Quote: chipolata @ December 17 2010, 8:50 AM GMT

I've always liked Will Self's definition of satire that it should "afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted." I'm not convinced Frankie Boyle always does this.

Could that be because Frankie Boyle's material is not always satire?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 16 2010, 11:50 PM GMT

I do wonder what his motivation is sometimes.
Because when people say he's not funny I disagree.
If he concentrated on being funny and not being as offensive as possible then I think I'd prefer his stuff.

The above is probably the best post in this entire thread.

I disagree also, when people say he isn't funny. He is. Motivations is exactly right. His motivations aren't to just make his audience laugh. It's to shock them. His material leans more toward the shock, than the laugh.

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2010, 12:06 AM GMT

Some of his early Mock The Week performances show somebody who can be totally funny and clever, without feeling he needs to be shocking and controversial all the time.

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2010, 12:16 AM GMT

LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE.

The poor wee bairn.

:D

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 16 2010, 11:50 PM GMT

I do wonder what his motivation is sometimes.
Because when people say he's not funny I disagree.
If he concentrated on being funny and not being as offensive as possible then I think I'd prefer his stuff.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ December 17 2010, 9:11 AM GMT

The above is probably the best post in this entire thread.

Why?

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 17 2010, 9:25 AM GMT

Why?

Mainly because of the word 'motivation'. Frankie Boyle's motivation isn't just to be funny, otherwise he wouldn't talk about Jade Goody's 'tight pussy', or Jordan's disabled son.

Quote: Marc P @ December 16 2010, 11:43 PM GMT

What was the target of him then?

Katie Price and her relationship with Alex Reid.

There's a huge difference between laughing at what has been said, and laughing at the fact that it has been said.
Getting the former response takes skill, the latter just takes a bit of front.
As long as the balance remains on the side of the genuinley funny, he's alright by me.

He does tread the line, though.

Quote: Aaron @ December 17 2010, 9:54 AM GMT

Katie Price and her relationship with Alex Reid.

And the disabled boy was just collateral damage. You see, the problem some people have with the gag, is that to kick them, a more than fair target, Frankie used a disabled boy, instead of any other number of things he could have used that didn't involve calling a disabled boy a violent, super strong rapist. I think it's more than understandable that some would think this a bit much.

I mean, it's up to him if he wants to tell jokes like that, if he does, fine, but it's obviously a bit nasty.