Twenty Twelve - Series 1 Page 7

Quote: italophile @ March 24 2011, 7:07 AM GMT

Meh, it's on record that Plowman and Morton had no notion of either the concept or format ... The only similarity between "People Like Us" and either Olympic series is the mockumentary style

What's the difference? Concept is the setting I suppose (hardly an idea that anyone here could have had before 2005 anyway), but the format is the mockumentary, no?

I think this sitcom (filmed in the style of a mockumentary) struggles in a few areas. First of all the mockumentary still has a shadow cast over it from The Office, particularly if you still watch the US Office and also People Like Us, which fewer people would have seen. Both were better than this.

Secondly, the main characters don't seem to have many redeeming features about them and the likeability level is quite low. They all seem to be either annoying, stupid or pig-headed.

Thirdly, there doesn't seem to be a lot at stake for anyone. They messed up getting a Brazilian group to meet Seb Coe. So what? Last week they commissioned a clock that went backwards. Again, so what? Bad PR? What were the implications? Didn't seem to be any.

Finally, we've had two episodes and one of the major components of both have been 'stuck in traffic'. Is this like the tin-bath-rolling-down-the-hill in The Last of the Summer's Wine?

It's not terrible and I've found it watchable enough. The interpreter character in the last episode was inspired if not a little over-milked. I just don't think they've made it particularly engaging or memorable.

I find the Hugh Bonneville and Olivia Colman characters likeable.

Quote: zooo @ March 24 2011, 2:33 PM GMT

I find the Hugh Bonneville and Olivia Colman characters likeable.

I don't consider Olivia as a main character after last week and Bonneville is pretty pig-headed, trying to cover and bullshit through everything. You don't see him dying inside like Brent was. He's definitely supposed to be the one we engage with and is the best with Jessica Hynes (I've worked with people like that!). In my opinion, of course.

I'm not saying they are all completely unlikeable but I didn't get a strong empathy for anyone.

She made him a little packed lunch! And he really liked it.
If that's not likeable nothing is.

Quote: zooo @ March 24 2011, 2:47 PM GMT

She made him a little packed lunch! And he really liked it.
If that's not likeable nothing is.

Oh you know what I mean! Rolling eyes

Plus she's after a married man. UNLIKE! :P

Oh bugger, you've ruined it noww!

Quote: Aaron @ March 24 2011, 1:17 PM GMT

What's the difference? Concept is the setting I suppose (hardly an idea that anyone here could have had before 2005 anyway), but the format is the mockumentary, no?

Ultimately it's the timing. The successful London bid prompted "The Games" people to approach Plowman. Plowman introduced them to Morton as a possible writer, Morton was given DVDs of "The Games". At some point further down the track, negotiations stalled and the BBC were making "Twenty Twelve".

Best left to lawyers.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ March 24 2011, 2:28 PM GMT

Secondly, the main characters don't seem to have many redeeming features about them and the likeability level is quite low. They all seem to be either annoying, stupid or pig-headed.

I don't think likeability is always that important in a sitcom. I don't particularly like the characters in The Thick Of It or Summer Heights High but they're still great sitcoms. I think the problem so far with the characters in this is that they seem fairly one-dimensional. Which is a shame because it's a very talented cast.

That said, I'm still enjoying it.

Quote: chipolata @ March 24 2011, 5:56 PM GMT

I don't think likeability is always that important in a sitcom. I don't particularly like the characters in The Thick Of It or Summer Heights High but they're still great sitcoms. I think the problem so far with the characters in this is that they seem fairly one-dimensional. Which is a shame because it's a very talented cast.

That said, I'm still enjoying it.

You don't like Malcolm Tucker??!! *gasp*

BTW, I don't mean just being nice. Likeable because they have something about them you enjoy. Like Tucker's ability to make anyone quiver or his swearing. And yes, being one-dimensional doesn't help either.

And I'm still watching it too. I wasn't being cast-iron against it. I was just pointing out where I thought it had weaknesses.

Quote: chipolata @ March 24 2011, 5:56 PM GMT

I don't think likeability is always that important in a sitcom. I don't particularly like the characters in The Thick Of It or Summer Heights High but they're still great sitcoms.

I find the word 'likeability' an odd one in regards to sitcom characters often; because the character might in many ways be horrible, but if they make me laugh, then I like them.

Quote: italophile @ March 24 2011, 5:18 PM GMT

Best left to lawyers.

The best thing that could happen out of this would be John Clarke and company do a third series of The Games where their original team of Clarke, Dawe and Riley are hired to "consult" on the London Olympics where they are basically ignored... that'd be nothing but win (assuming it were funny).

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 24 2011, 7:04 PM GMT

I find the word 'likeability' an odd one in regards to sitcom characters often; because the character might in many ways be horrible, but if they make me laugh, then I like them.

That is the right definition. The audience has to like them. Who would actually want to live or work with Malcolm Tucker, David Brent, Blackadder, Basil Fawlty, Kenny Powers etc. Actually, that could make a great sitcom. Could you imagine David Brent getting a bollocking off Tucker?

Anyhow, to varying degrees these characters are likeable because we either wish we had the balls to do what they do, or we love seeing them cock things up.

Quote: Griff @ March 25 2011, 9:55 AM GMT

I often get told I write unlikeable characters. (I know, who'd have thought.)

Yes, this "Griff" creation is hard work at times.

And I agree with the rest of your ramblings. If a character is believable, and we can understand why they are like that, then we can grow to like even the most detestable of people.

Quote: chipolata @ March 25 2011, 10:24 AM GMT

Yes, this "Griff" creation is hard work at times.

And I agree with the rest of your ramblings. If a character is believable, and we can understand why they are like that, then we can grow to like even the most detestable of people.

Is this your way of saying you like George W Bush?