Him & Her - Series 1 Page 5

I thought that it was quite a bit better this week than last.

Was a bit less slow.

Well what is it with this sudden spate of poor first episodes, followed by much better ones? This should not happen, it's one the first laws of prog making! Every new sitcom I've seen lately has done it.

This one was very funny, I can cope okay with the excessive crudeness because it's caricture crudeness and done with a smile. What I can cope far less with is the acting style of Him, Russell Tovey, how much has he paid Ricky Gervais for his complete act? It is a rip off, pure and simple. Wouldn't put me off watching again if they'll all be as good as that one though, the finale was proper old school sitcom payoff stuff, so well done for bringing that back.

I liked the first one. I couldn't see the problem with it.

I've only had a chance to see the first one. After the first five minutes I had my finger on the off button but before I knew it I was half way through and kind of enjoying it. It seems to be a cross between The Smoking Room and Ideal in style. I will watch the second episode.

The second episode was brilliant, a big improvement. If it keeps improving at this rate it will be a classic.

Agree with Mikey's comment some time ago. You might as well go round and watch your neighbours or, like, have a life yourself.

Write about what you know is fine - but not just 'write everything that happens in your life' surely? I'd put Grandma's House and Roger and Val in this category. Pointless TV for lonely people.

I hate to bang on about theme and message (and you can naff off, Sam Goldwyn) but surely there has to be a reason why you show one bit of life and not another, even if you do have to warp reality a bit to get there.

The sitcom set up in ep 2 would have been ok if it hadn't been set up 5 mins in advance, forcing us to watch the pay off played out in very very slow motion.

And yeah, the beardy neighbour is great. It should probably tell you something when one minor character takes up most of your show trailer.

Nope, not for me either I'm afraid - and I love 'Grandma's House'.

Yes, it isn't good. I want to like it, but the grottiness and smelliness gets to me a bit (maybe I'm over sensisitve) and, like the Roger and Val it's being compared to on this forum, it doesn't make me laugh. I don't like the way him goes all falsetto when he's emphasising a point, and her smug mouth gurning is another point of irritation. I don't mind adult humour and rudeness if it's actually funny, but I do agree that hearing a pooh plop into the water - well, it isn't a laugh and it isn't anything else really. Shame.

Nearly 3 years between posts. Where have you been, prison? :P

Quote: Pip Bond @ September 19 2010, 7:21 PM BST

Yes, it isn't good. I want to like it, but the grottiness and smelliness gets to me a bit (maybe I'm over sensisitve) and, like the Roger and Val it's being compared to on this forum, it doesn't make me laugh. I don't like the way him goes all falsetto when he's emphasising a point, and her smug mouth gurning is another point of irritation. I don't mind adult humour and rudeness if it's actually funny, but I do agree that hearing a pooh plop into the water - well, it isn't a laugh and it isn't anything else really. Shame.

Not even the sight of 'Her' in her pants made me watch this week. I did, however, catch two glimpses of it: one was of some woman talking about dog shit and asking 'Her' if she could smell it. The other was something about canine onanism. The quality of the humour has gone up it seems...

I've just remembered what Russell Tovey reminds me of: it's the Spitting Image puppet of Mark Thatcher.

Third episode was a vast improvement and laugh out loud at times. IMHO of course.