Angry comedy Page 2

Quote: Ben @ August 7 2010, 11:39 AM BST

Stewart Lee is generally angry about what he believes is unjust and the stupidity that pervades modern life.

Possibly, but he does not seem particularly good at articulating it, or making it funny.

Quote: Timbo @ August 7 2010, 11:41 AM BST

Possibly, but he does not seem particularly good at articulating it, or making it funny.

In your opinion, in mine he's one of the greatest stand ups currenly working.

Has Charlie Brooker been mentioned? He really is jolly angry.

Let's save all this for the Stewart Lee thread!

Quote: Ben @ August 7 2010, 11:50 AM BST

Let's save all this for the Stewart Lee thread!

No! Lee haters keep out of that thread, start up a Jason Manford thread or something instead!

Quote: chipolata @ August 7 2010, 11:50 AM BST

Has Charlie Brooker been mentioned? He really is jolly angry.

Well he's jolly irritated in the same way David Mitchell gets het up, none really attack the audience though.

I don't agree with attacking audiences. Seems very rude and un-British.

Quote: chipolata @ August 7 2010, 5:14 PM BST

I don't agree with attacking audiences. Seems very rude and un-British.

Well it wouldn't suit me either in such an audience, all the UK audience attacking people would be on my black list anyway. I suspect the UK comedians are very reliant on Telly time (or the want of it), with one notable exception, Chubby Brown. They simply won't get any if they have too much untamed bile.

If there are fewer angry comedians around, maybe it's linked to the rise in social awareness. These days, it doesn't do to verbally attack the vulnerable people. And it's not cool to be perceived as a bully.

Sadly, "social awareness" is all too often in fact misguided "political correctness" and there are many not-so-vulnerable people hiding behind the skirts of the truly vulnerable and "getting away with it".

If you highlight this fact (as a comedian or otherwise) you are mostly shouted down by the so-called "socially aware". No wonder comedians shy away from being angry.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 7 2010, 11:53 AM BST

No! Lee haters keep out of that thread, start up a Jason Manford thread or something instead!

I simply cannot wait for next week's The One Show.

David Mitchell has brilliant angry rants but it is not his main source of humour.

Charlie Brooker isn't technically a comedian but I consider him one and he is defiantly angry.

Stewart Lee is angry.

Frankie Boyle has had the occasional rant on Mock the Week.

Jerry Sadowitz, Johnny Vegas, Mark Thomas and Chris Morris defiantly.

Andrew Lawrence as well.

Quote: sidecar jon @ August 4 2010, 3:53 PM BST

(There aren't any) angry UK comedians

Because they're all pussy's.
*pauses*
Frankie bone-head has a go, but only the US comedians are able to pull it off properly.
*rolls eyes*
I think US comedians are angry because they watch US TV, US adverts, and US news.

Quote: Brian Brane @ July 11 2011, 7:10 PM BST

Because they're all pussy's.
*pauses*
Frankie bone-head has a go, but only the US comedians are able to pull it off properly.
*rolls eyes*
I think US comedians are angry because they watch US TV, US adverts, and US news.

Humm I heard Jerry Seinfeld being asked about going foul mouthed and the effects on a comedy career in the US, he thought that it didn't make much difference, there were as many gig possibility's for them on the circuit and US comedians don't seem to really on Telly so much, so maybe that's the key.

For myself, as a comedian, I find that people don't laugh at me when I'm angry. I also find that they don't laugh at me when I'm not angry. I have not learned anything from this.