Angry comedy

I was just watching some George Carlin (is he even a comedian?) and it occurred to me I haven't seen any UK angry comedians. I'm not talking about the rather limp "alternative" comedians of the 1980s who almost universally sold their souls. But really angry, mad as hell and not going quietly. It might well be as they don't make it onto telly? I found it interesting to see George Carlin preaching to an audience of knowing Americans, who laughed in the right places, even when he was saying he was only interested in them if they died in an entertaining way. It seemed almost like a prayer, he said it so they didn't have to do anything about inequality or the fictional "American Dream". Do British people not like to be lectured and hectored or is our style more subversive and quiet?

Quote: sidecar jon @ August 4 2010, 3:53 PM BST

Do British people not like to be lectured and hectored or is our style more subversive and quiet?

No and yes.

Both Stewart Lee and Johnny Vegas can have moments of anger on stage. Also when he was a standup Mark Lamarr got quite angry

No comedians here probably have anything to really get angry about or anything that they are educated enough to pull up. I can only think of when a comedian talks about something that actually has affected them, and is a real issue like Patrick Kielty used to do.

Jerry Sadowitz springs to mind, as does Chris Morris. Erm...Russell Brand?

Mark Thomas and Rob Newman both do a nice line in impassioned political comedy although I'm not sure I'd describe it as "angry" as such.

Oh and George Carlin most certainly was a comedian and a very funny one at that.

My favourite American angry comic was Bill Hicks, what a loss he was. Mark Thomas is our own Bill Hicks I suppose, and I like his daring approach. Also Mark Steel can get quite angry and I like his stuff too. He clearly didn't get on with Ian Hislop when he sat next to him on HIGNFY, so his anger is quite genuine.

Saw a clip of some 'angry' US comedian and I really didn't like him, his anger seemed false and just an act, I prefer the gently bubbling anger of comics like Lee and Boyle, although I love it when Vegas goes into one, think he's brilliant at it and it's genuinely funny when he does it. Also Billy Connolly, a lot of his comedy used to be quite angry. So we definitely can do angry comedy, I would suggest we're just a bit more subtle with it than the Americans, and often a fair bit funnier with it too. IMO

Broadening it out slightly, I'd say a show like The Thick Of It is massively angry at the state of British politics. And it's hard to imagine an American sitcom with such venom.

Quote: Badhead @ August 5 2010, 1:22 AM BST

Both Stewart Lee and Johnny Vegas can have moments of anger on stage. Also when he was a standup Mark Lamarr got quite angry

Ah yes Lee, certainly. Vegas I'm not so sure (but I haven't seem much of his stand up) - he seems more concerned with disappointment, sadness and desperation. Never seen any Lamarr other than on Buzcocks...

Quote: Leevil @ August 5 2010, 2:31 AM BST

real issue like Patrick Kielty used to do.

Hum I was pretty surprised by Kielty actually talking of the "troubles" even if it did seem like a Butlins version...

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 5 2010, 3:15 AM BST

Jerry Sadowitz springs to mind, as does Chris Morris. Erm...Russell Brand?

Morris, how could I forget him!... Brand, silly fop of a guy, but angry?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 5 2010, 9:01 AM BST

Mark Thomas and Rob Newman both do a nice line in impassioned political comedy although I'm not sure I'd describe it as "angry" as such.

Oh and George Carlin most certainly was a comedian and a very funny one at that.

Mark Thomas I guess so yes. Rob Newman's robotic delivery makes anything sound like it's out of a laboratory than real passion.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 5 2010, 9:20 AM BST

My favourite American angry comic was Bill Hicks, what a loss he was. Mark Thomas is our own Bill Hicks I suppose, and I like his daring approach.

Saw a clip of some 'angry' US comedian and I really didn't like him, his anger seemed false and just an act, I prefer the gently bubbling anger of comics like Lee and Boyle, although I love it when Vegas goes into one, think he's brilliant at it and it's genuinely funny when he does it. Also Billy Connolly, a lot of his comedy used to be quite angry. So we definitely can do angry comedy, I would suggest we're just a bit more subtle with it than the Americans, and often a fair bit funnier with it too. IMO

Yes I used to really like Bill Hicks, but maybe I've seen too many sweat dripping rants. I think on the American circuit "Angry" is a recognised type of comedy, so it forms part of the planning of a gig. A running order might I think read, soft, angry soft, silly in a similar way to planning as rock gig. Lee and Boyle I agree with you there, I too prefer the less preachy style of them, Lee is particularly capable of real hate, cold and steely. Billy Connolly I can't really stand him at all, he might have something to say but it's not for me.

Quote: chipolata @ August 5 2010, 9:38 AM BST

Broadening it out slightly, I'd say a show like The Thick Of It is massively angry at the state of British politics. And it's hard to imagine an American sitcom with such venom.

Well maybe on HBO? Armando Iannucci seems definitively angry in a Radio Four sort of way.

You know Kielty's Dad was shots by the Ulster Freedom Fighters, don't you?

Quote: catskillz @ August 5 2010, 10:37 PM BST

You know Kielty's Dad was shots by the Ulster Freedom Fighters, don't you?

but was it in Butlins or not?... ;)

I know he's not a stand up but David Mitchell seems to have a bit of a reputation for ranting.

I heard a US standup recently say that his impression of UK comics is that they're more into silly humour rather than angry/political humour like US comics. Not sure how true that is though.

It is quite difficult to be funny about something you are genuinely angry about; I can't think of any current UK comedian who pulls it off. David Mitchell perhaps comes closest, but it is more exasperated than actually angry; he reminds me of a young Ian Hislop.

Stewart Lee does not seem particularly sure what he is angry about, or why it is funny. Mark Thomas is our answer to Michael Moore, and about as funny, and as persuasive. Mark Steel is humourless agitprop; Jeremy Hardy does agitprop better, but could hardly be described as dripping with anger. Frankie Boyle is just a shock jock, which is not the same thing at all, he has found his level as a columnist for The Sun.

For some genuinely angry comedy watch the late Dave Allen in his later years, railing against his Catholic upbringing and the ravages of ageing.

I caught a few episodes of the last series of The Mark Thomas Comedy Product and rather enjoyed it.

Stewart Lee is generally angry about what he believes is unjust and the stupidity that pervades modern life.