Last Of The Summer Wine - Series 31 Page 5

They should have axed this when Bill Owen died. I might have mentioned that before. He was the heart and soul of the show.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 2 2010, 11:18 AM BST

I'm with Timbo on this one. I never watched it as a kid, but about six years ago I got the DVDs of the early series. The first four series are a work of pure genius. Then come series 5 there was an introduction of more 'physical' comedy. It wasn't as good, but still very good and still a limited number of characters seeing the best of the three old men, plus added support from Nora and Wally Batty plus Sid and Ivy. It went at this good level for another few series, with perhaps the best episode being 'Getting Sam Home', a 90 minute special from 1984 which was top dog. Then from on there, these added characters came into it more and more and it went on a steep decline from there on, and which is now hitting rock bottom.

Ah but some of he added characters were good, like Edie and Wesley. Only added character that annoyed me was Eli I think. One joke stretched to its limit.

I really liked the 1976-1985; 1990-2008 episodes and the only real reason that doesn't include 2009-2010 is because of Hobbo. Unimpressed

The first two series were alright but I tend to find them a tad boring, I suppose. That's where my youth shows through :D

I couldn't stand Seymour, although upon rewatching he's better than Hobbo.

Quote: peter gazzard @ August 2 2010, 7:05 PM BST

Ah but some of he added characters were good, like Edie and Wesley. Only added character that annoyed me was Eli I think. One joke stretched to its limit.

What didn't you like about Seymour, his bossyness? My favourite Seymour episode was Three Men And A Mangle I think, that or The Experiment.

I think he was just so different to Foggy that I couldn't accept him. Upon watching an episode just now he's not that bad. I still prefer Foggy though.

I just watched last night's.

Hmm . . not good but not totally awful either IMHO.

Russ Abbott is a complete waste of space and maybe if they had cast someone else it might be a bit better. Can't think who though right now.

Bert Kwouk and Brian Murphy have potential but is Roy up to it? Not that it matters in the last series.

I still like the Howard/Pearl/Marina goings on.

And Josephine Teweson is a born over actress.

I wonder what we'd all be saying if this was the first series?

"puts tin hat on"

Quote: Robert D @ August 2 2010, 7:32 PM BST

I really liked the 1976-1985; 1990-2008 episodes and the only real reason that doesn't include 2009-2010 is because of Hobbo. Unimpressed

The first two series were alright but I tend to find them a tad boring, I suppose. That's where my youth shows through :D

I couldn't stand Seymour, although upon rewatching he's better than Hobbo.

The first two series. I really enjoyed them. The first was a bit boring to begin with, but it picked up with some fine episodes in the latter half of the opening series, with classics like 'The New Mobile Trio' and 'Hail Smiling Morn or thereabouts' Series 2 for me though was a great series, some wonderful episodes in that run in my opinion. Yet series 3 when Foggy entered was just simply outstanding and my personnel favourite series of 'Summer Wine'

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 3 2010, 12:18 PM BST

The first two series. I really enjoyed them. The first was a bit boring to begin with, but it picked up with some fine episodes in the latter half of the opening series, with classics like 'The New Mobile Trio' and 'Hail Smiling Morn or thereabouts' Series 2 for me though was a great series, some wonderful episodes in that run in my opinion. Yet series 3 when Foggy entered was just simply outstanding and my personnel favourite series of 'Summer Wine'

'The Kink In Foggy's Niblick' is my favourite in series 3, that or 'Isometrics amd After'. Roy Clarke rewrote the gag of Compo winding Foggy with his boot (IIRC) later on in the series. Brian Wilde preferred Sydney Lotterby as the director apparently as he was fond of the openings where you would just see the scenery and hear the three chatting

Quote: peter gazzard @ August 3 2010, 7:32 PM BST

'The Kink In Foggy's Niblick' is my favourite in series 3, that or 'Isometrics amd After'. Roy Clarke rewrote the gag of Compo winding Foggy with his boot (IIRC) later on in the series. Brian Wilde preferred Sydney Lotterby as the director apparently as he was fond of the openings where you would just see the scenery and hear the three chatting

My personnel favourite episodes was the two parters when the heroes went to Scarbourough.
I prefer the Lotterby episodes aswell. Me and my mate were discussing the show today and we both agreed the show should have ended after 'Getting Sam Home' in 1983. It would have had a good ten year run and would have been a fondly remembered and classic sitcom, not as a maligned sitcom as it is today due to a mass decline in quality.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 3 2010, 10:49 PM BST

My personnel favourite episodes was the two parters when the heroes went to Scarbourough.
I prefer the Lotterby episodes aswell. Me and my mate were discussing the show today and we both agreed the show should have ended after 'Getting Sam Home' in 1983. It would have had a good ten year run and would have been a fondly remembered and classic sitcom, not as a maligned sitcom as it is today due to a mass decline in quality.

Interesting viewpoint. Some say the show should have ended when Bill Owen died, I myself say it should have been when Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton were unable to film outdoor scenes

The official BARB ratings for the first 2 epsiodes were:

Episode 1. 4.93 million

Episode 2. 4.14 million

I think they should kill this off now, it just isn't working.
Abbott is naff. What one finds with comedians or singers when they go into acting, they can't work within a team, their ego won't let them as they are used to all the attention, so their acting isn't truthful it becomes showing off and that is what Abbott does.

It is to finish at the end of August

Abbott can act, he was quite affecting in September Song; but I agree he does not work in sitcoms (he was equally bad in Married For Life). I think on the whole comedians make reasonable straight actors, but sitcoms work best where the vehicle is tailored to them, rather than they are parachuted in.

No singer apart from Sinatra has ever been able to act.

Quote: Timbo @ August 13 2010, 1:01 PM BST

No singer apart from Sinatra has ever been able to act.

What about Kylie Mino........

Point taken.

Can't stand Russ Abbot either